1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hot shoe on NEX-6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by rich815, Dec 22, 2012.

1. rich815

rich815 TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    Searched pretty well here and in Google and am surprised I cannot find an answer. If there's a thread I missed please refer me. I was under the impression with the older style hot shoe on the NEX-6 that standard flashes can be used but trying it that's obviously not the case. Is there a menu setting I'm missing or an adapter needed before one can use standard typical hot-shoe mount flashes with the NEX-6? Thanks much,

2. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    I have also asked that question. One told me that I have a Multi-Interface Shoe Adapter Model number ADP-MAA needed.

3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    It IS a standard hotshoe, and I am in fact using a Nikon flash and an Olympus flash on mine, I just do NOT get TTL on either.

4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Likewise. And I bought the Sony adapter to use the Sony-specific flash on the NEX-6.

5. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    I thought you had to have a compatible Flash with Sony Mount.

6. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I have the Sony HVL-F43AM. It fits my NEX-7 as is, and the NEX-6 with a Sony ADP-MAA. It think it was about $25.00 form Sony online.

7. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    The contacts on the NEX-6 shoe are all crammed up under the front lip. The ADP-MAA has the same contacts. Any normal PC contact-only flash, like a Vivitar 285HV for example, would slide on normally and only touch the typical large center contact.

8. liemjerry

liemjerry New to TalkEmount

Dec 23, 2012
  9. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    My HVL-F20AM showed up yesterday. It is elegant in its simplicity. Bonus... it does kick in the wireless mode and fires my larger HVL-F43AM. The process is really easy. I like that the 20 also bounces and has a tele/wide switch. I got mine for $97 shipped on ebay, new in the box. Runs on AAA batteries, but I always seem to have those in the battery drawer. I do a lot of table top product photos in my office. I have a table dedicated to it with a white illustration board cover. White ceilings, a little ambient sunlight from the window in the room, and a small bounce flash works great. The only downside is the head doesn't rotate for verticals. Definitely a great NEX accessory worth the money.

10. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    To me any flash that doesn't swivel for vertical shots negates the usefulness of an external unit. I've used the little built-in flash bounced, many times, and for landscape orientation it works *flawlessly*. Since I DO want to make portrait orientation shots though, I've bought an Olympus FL-36 (non R). It's a little finicky about the batteries (seems to run only on freshly charged ones) but when it does work it's great. Size is pretty perfectly matched to the NEX 6, too :) Of course I use it in manual mode, but been doing that for so long I don't even have to think about settings anymore...

11. rich815

Oct 27, 2012
    Hmmm, I mounted a couple of Sunpaks, a Nikon, a Fuji, and a Vivitar. None fire off under any settings.

12. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Now THAT is very strange... Have you tried Manual mode ? On both flash AND camera ??

13. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I don't have a stray flash here to try, sorry.

14. tuwinkk

tuwinkk TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 26, 2012
    Singapore
    i'm using my canon 580ex...and yes it's fired...but thinking to buy a small flash to be pair with my NEX6..
    any reccomendation?

15. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Maybe your camera is defective. Everybody else, including me, doesn't seem to have a problem to fire a flash via the hotshoe.

16. rich815

Oct 27, 2012
    Well this is the conclusion I'm coming to as well I just tried 4 or 5 more flashes in the hot shoe on every single mode I can think of in the camera and none of them fired off the external flash. My old Sony F717 requires you to set "external flash" in a menu setting but I see nothing like that in the NEX-6 menus.

Ah well, call to Sony tomorrow I guess.

17. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    the ada maa is not a standard adaptor, it adapts from the nex to the sony proprietory hotshoe

18. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
  19. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    There are TWO Sony adapters, one going each way. From standard (NEX-6) to Sony (NEX-7), the ADP-MAA, and vice versa, the ADP-AMA. I have the ADP-MAA, works great.

20. JoeleZ

JoeleZ New to TalkEmount

Feb 6, 2013
    can you told me how the result ? i'm facing something similar. i can't use any of my late flash. there is 3 manual flash non ttl. but everytime i put on my hot shoe it's fire the flash once even in camera off condition. after that it can not be fired anymore. once i take the flash and put it on hot shoe again, it's fire once again when the center spot get touch.

hikz.... am i get the defective camera from sony ? can i ask for new one ?
    are you already asking sony about this ?