1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hot Pixel... well... sort of

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by unlo, Sep 18, 2016.

1. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    So i've not experienced this before until the other day.

I've not seen any hot pixels (red) in any of my images. however, when i have the LENS cap on and set to A MODE, camera usually sets shutter to bulb to compensate. weird thing is anything over 1/8th of a second shows one hot (red) pixel on the rear lcd display, doesn't show on any of my pictures. and doesn't remain when i go above 1/6th of a second with lens cap on in manual mode. anyone else experienced anything similar? Should i be worried about the display developing more of these? would you send it in for service?

i'm only really frustrated b/c I bought this used so do not have a genuine warranty with sony. and i'm thinking if I send it in they will want to replace the entire LCD.

2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    If it were me, I'd ask myself, 'Self, how often do I shoot with the lens cap on?'
    Then, 'Self, how often do I shoot below 1/6th of a second, with the lens cap on?'
    Then, 'Self, if I worry about this, will it help?'

One (1) pixel out of how many?

I'd worry about it if doing so would change things, but, it won't so why waste the energy?
    {This from an owner of two (2) used cameras with LCD screens related to yours.}

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    It's a stuck pixel on the LCD, not a hot pixel on the sensor, right? If so, and you can live with it, don't worry about it.

4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I get that it's not affecting my shots. What I don't understand is why it's only visible at a certain shutter speed. Like it's not stuck when I'm viewing my previous images. And not a faster shutter speeds. Just baffles me that it's there at all.

5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Does it display with just the image, or only with info displayed, or both? Perhaps it is the display generator, and long exposure times cause it.

6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    If you see it in the LCD then it is a stuck pixel in the LCD not a hot pixel. The resolution of the LCD is < 1mp while the sensor is 24mp. You simply cannot check sensor hot pixels in the LCD because it is a downsized image. I would look in the EVF since it is a different LCD and see if you see it to verify. In any case it isn't anything to worry about.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Try zooming in on the red pixel on the LCD, and then move it around on the screen. Is the red pixel still there fixed or is it moving?
    If it's moving, it's not the LCD screen.

• Like Like x 1
  8. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Well i was quite happy to read your post as i was sure it wouldn't be in the EVF as well. Unfortunately I can verify that i DO see the exact same red spot in the EVF as well. :hmmm:

after switching to manual focus and zooming in YES the red spot is still there. i'm not sure I follow on move it around? When i move the zoom box around the red spot stays where it should on the zoomed image but does move around on my LCD

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  9. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Seems to only be with info displayed. I haven't spotted it any of my images that i've reviewed from the SD card. When I was trying what @WNG@WNG suggested i switched to manual focus to zoom in on it. I noticed when i had it in AF mode and tried to focus it would disappear during focus.

10. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    well this isn't good at all
    i CAN see the image viewing it in photos
    but it DOESN'T show in LIGHTROOM

i'm so very confused now
    viewing photo.png lighroom view.png

its viewable in the lower right hand corner of the first image but not the second

11. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Try if hot-pixel mapping helps. You can force your camera to do a hot-pixel mapping: advance the date 1 month ahead and switch off the camera, you'll hear some shutter operation after switching off. See if that helps and anyway, set the date back to the actual date.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    If it shows in the jpg version of the shot but not the RAW, could it be a product of the jpg engine software that generates the jpg?

13. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Puzzling indeed. Another guess: Lightroom does color noise reduction by default, maybe that removes the red spot.
    i-TPS5NSL.jpg

14. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I will certainly try this. After Google searching hot pixel mapping i found a few reports of others with nearly identical symptoms that seems to be alleviated by this method. Thank you AD

15. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I know how deflating it is to discover a flaw in one's equipment. I am impressed with the amount of wise advice given above. Of course, it is not a really big deal. If that red pixel is the worst thing in one of your images, then that is really fine image.

...but I know how deflating it is to discover a flaw in one's equipment...

Maybe you can make it part of your signature - just kidding...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    HA the signature bit has me chuckling.. That said Yes very deflating. It's not like I've got an in warranty camera... Just to have it examined by the professionals Sony recommends its 300 buckaroos. And i'm expecting this body to last me a few more years before being replaced with an updated model. Obviously I'll need to ramp up the selling of my art to be able to afford these issues.

17. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I wouldn't worry too much. I can easily produce some hot pixels with my A7R2 at exposures of 30 s, it's all in the game and it hasn't stopped me from taking night shots; I turn off long-exposure noise reduction because I want the full 14-bits output at the expense of hot pixels. The few I've seen so far, can be easily eliminated by Lightroom's spot healing if so required. I appreciate that astro-photographers may have a different take on this subject.

18. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    @addieleman@addieleman thank you for your suggestion and support. I did the date trick and the red pixel disappeared! Amazing stuff. I'll have to keep that tucked back in case it ever shows up again. Back to shooting! Lens cap on or off!

Thanks to all that responded. It's nice having a support group.

• Like Like x 2
  19. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    So does this mean it's really an artifact of the software, not the hardware?
    Or is the hot pixel mapping actually covering up or making up for the hardware problem?

20. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    My suggestion was to view the image on the LCD, you can then zoom in on the spot, then pan the zoomed image thus if the image contained the spot, it would move to other areas of the LCD. Thus the LCD would not have a stuck pixel.

You discovered you have a hot pixel. I have plenty of them in long exposures w/o LE noise reduction enabled.
    Also, Lightroom may be removing most of the hot pixels by default. I know when I open a RAW with Capture-1, it does this as most of the hot pixels are removed.

AlwaysOnAuto: It's a hardware issue and the camera maps them over time and compensates by masking the pixel with the surrounding pixels' output.

• Agree Agree x 1