Horizontal / Vertical

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
I have customised the A7III at will but I have a small problem now, for which I ask your help.
The Focus Area change when I move the camera from horizontal to vertical. How to fix this ?
I do know that there is switch, a command, a set, whatever somewhere in the menu...
Thank you ! :)

Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I just checked my A7RII, and that doesn't happen on it. Do you have a battery grip on the camera, Antonio? Perhaps its shutter button is set for a different focus area setting?

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you David :)
No battery grip and the shutter button is the shutter button as default.
I solved the problem, thank you. I knew there was something only I did not know where it was and I found it ! Here
I set it to Off. So far... ;)

Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Hm. I‘m trying to imagine why anyone would want to automatically switch focus area depending on camera rotation. Probably for some very specific application. :hmmm:
Perhaps... very customisable camera indeed.
One takes ages (I did) to absorb part the info ! Not all ! :laugh:
Cheers ! :)

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Hm. I‘m trying to imagine why anyone would want to automatically switch focus area depending on camera rotation. Probably for some very specific application. :hmmm:
I think the feature is there to keep the focus area in the same place when you change orientation.
For shooting outside portraits this is a great timing saving feature, as I want the AF point to start most times in the upper 1/3 of the photo. This feature makes it possible no matter which orientation the camera is held.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
However, be aware that if you have number 1 or 2 for customised settings like I do, the change of V/H AF Area to a new position does not imply the same result on the numbers.

Let me try to be clearer.
1. I have number 1 set to certain setting.
2. I go to the menu and change the V/H AF Area
3. I change the camera to S for example and
4. Get it back to 1 (to start over the number 1 settings)
5. The V/H AF Area is not changed !

So, I had to register again number 1 so the V/H AF Area to be assumed.

I hope I made myself clear. Thank you for your patience.
Cheers ! :)

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Just to complicate matters and I don't really know how to use this yet, but you can also register and recall just a subset of all the settings normally saved in a memory location. See item on group 1 page 4 (Shoot Mode/Drive2), Reg Cust Shoot Set.

When you figure it out, you can write us up a little tutorial Antonio. :)

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Just to complicate matters and I don't really know how to use this yet, but you can also register and recall just a subset of all the settings normally saved in a memory location. See item on group 1 page 4 (Shoot Mode/Drive2), Reg Cust Shoot Set.
You know what Bob ? I have thought of that register in conjunction with the V/H AF Area but I do not have use for it. At least I don't think I will ever ned it... but perhaps in the future...

Anyway, I have "been around" this feature also (register and recall the focus point) but I gave up as it was not working or I have not completely understood it.

Take care ! :)

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim

The Reg Cust Shoot Set is for a group of settings, you can't change the items are that are saved or recalled. If you don't change an item it is set to default. I shoot mostly outside portraits, sometimes with flash and sometimes without and I have set up my C1 and C2 dials to reflect this. The two groups settings are almost identical except that I have Aperture priority for natural photos plus the feature that changes the EVF to reflect actual exposure in C1, and Shutter priority for flash photos with a max ss of 1/250 flash sync and a boosted EVF view, becasue I usually am 1 stop underexposed for ambient, for the C2 settings.

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Right Jim, a Register Custom Setting is a good approach to some settings one uses often.

I use one but as you know not all settings are available trough this function set.
:)

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Right Jim, a Register Custom Setting is a good approach to some settings one uses often.

I use one but as you know not all settings are available trough this function set.
:)

This whole Sony process for custom settings/dials is a lot harder than it needs to be. I just purchased an Olympus EM1 Mk III and it has 4 custom dials and once you set up whatever custom feature you want you can save it, there is no set list. Plus if you make a change while shooting your can have the camera either save the change or go back to default once done, your choice.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
This whole Sony process for custom settings/dials is a lot harder than it needs to be. I just purchased an Olympus EM1 Mk III and it has 4 custom dials and once you set up whatever custom feature you want you can save it, there is no set list. Plus if you make a change while shooting your can have the camera either save the change or go back to default once done, your choice.
Jim, I still have an Olympus 5 MkII which I think is a good camera. But not better than Sony.
Curiously I found in Sony some kind of resemblance with Oly's menus. I can't recall which but I remember thinking that there looked to be some kind of connection.
Indeed there was as Sony was/is a shareholder in Olympus !
But no, now I want Sony and only Sony. And I have a bunch of lenses which I will sell if I survive the virus and when things settle down a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom