1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hoodman Hoodeye Eyecup for Sony Alpha a7, a7R, a7S, and a7 II Models

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dan Euritt, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Be careful though as I emailed them asking if they also fit the A7R2 and so did my friend, the reply I got said they do and they reply my friend got said they don't :dash2:
    Another friend has an A72 so once I'm back I'll see if the A7R2 and A72 eyecups are interchangeable.
    Does anyone know if they are interchangeable?

3. wildwildwes

wildwildwes New to TalkEmount

Dec 25, 2015
    Both iterations fit the A7R2. The "glasses" version simply has a larger eyecup...

4. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    What I mean is, does the Sony A7R2 have the same eye cup fitting as the A7, A7ii and A7R, the A7R2 isn't listed in the models this eyecup fits.

5. wildwildwes

Dec 25, 2015
    Hi Paul,

I assume they are identical. when I called B&H to confirm that it'd work with the A7R2, the rep cautioned me that since this specific camera model wasn't specified that it was "possible" it wouldn't work... I happened to be at the store a couple days later and decided to ask again in person--and was able to verify that it did!

Cheers-
    Wes

6. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Thanks Wes,

have you got one on your A7R2 now, are they good?

Paul

7. wildwildwes

Dec 25, 2015
    You bet Paul!

Yes, I do have one my A7R2. They did not have the standard version at the time yet, but the salesman assured me that the only difference was the larger rubber hood which in essence gave a wider "coverage" against ones face. The quality is very good with the eyecup hood made out of pretty heavy-duty rubber. The eyeglasses iteration is quite large and might not be to ones aesthetic preference. For me, it works great as the eyepiece location of the A7 series is too recessed in relation to the screen position (which with my pitbull shaped face means theres a big gap between my eye and the camera, enabling A LOT of extraneous light to blind one when shooting). Also despite the eyecup size, the Hoodeye doesn't "mess" with the (annoying) EVF / screen on/off function.

Cheers-
    W

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Thanks for that, I'll defo get one then.

Paul

9. Senya

Senya TalkEmount Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Minsk, Belarus
    Unfortunately Sony EVF not bright enough even for cloudy weather. I wish it had +2 levels of brightness more. If sunny I wear polarized sunglasses which decrease around 2 stops of EVF brightness with regular eyecup. Did anyone try sunglasses with that eyecup?

10. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    I don't see how you can expect accuracy using sunglasses. Defeats the purpose of WYSIWYG EVF goodness

11. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I just got one yesterday, the smaller one for use without glasses. I'm not sure yet if I like it. I have to push the camera to my eyebrow and position my eye to view the whole viewfinder image in such a way that the cup doesn't completely shield all extraneous light. It also annoys me that I can't see the menu's top items on the LCD. I'll see if I can get to grips with it.