1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Honeybee Beehive in realtime

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Jun 12, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Out of all the Honeybees at the beehive entrance there is only one headed inside with full yellow 'pollen baskets' on its hind legs...either that bee is running very late or the rest are just slackers, LOL.
    Canon FDn 200/4.0 Macro Lens on an NEX-7

• Like Like x 4
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Your a better man than me. How close were you? I guess you're ok with being stung. :)

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Probably 10' away...200mm lens...then cropped up

4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    We had a swarm on our back fence earlier this spring. Kind of scary there were so many bees, but good to see them as they are in distress of late.

• Like Like x 1
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I've shot individual bees, but never a hive. You are braver than me.:)

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, there were 3 hive towers side by side, probably 4' tall, bottom entry slot each.
    The Arboretum had a little metal sign stuck in the ground basically saying Honeybees are usually docile and don't bother people unless they feel they're being attacked / feel the need to defend themselves, etc.
    NOTE:
    I had to take a couple steps closer just to bend down and read the little sign, LOL.
    ( probably should have just read it through the lens )

• Like Like x 1
  7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    PS:
    Surprised nobody commented on the majority of the photo being out of focus. Maybe it was so obvious to everyone else, but it was the first time I had ever experimented with a "Focus Feature".
    In this case, I put a "focus circle" around the bee with the full pollen baskets on its hind legs, and when activated, the rest of the photo went out of focus...seems tailor made for a photo like this one.
    I learn something new every day in this hobby...and what a perfect retirement hobby it's turned out to be.

• Like Like x 1
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

I assumed this is what you intended to do :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I revisited the picture after reading this. Works for me, I didn't have any second thoughts about focus when I looked at the picture for the first time.

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    That's interesting...I had assumed the difference would have been more pronounced...used to seeing that feature used in news briefs, etc, where the rest of an image is not only out of focus but usually has some fog in it as well for a strong contrast...but I guess this feature worked well enough then as it is.