Honduras for a week, which lens combo, + upgrade to a6000?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by thcaleb, Apr 17, 2015.

1. thcaleb

thcaleb New to TalkEmount

Jun 26, 2013
    Going to Honduras for a week. I have the NEX-6 with the following lenses:

Sigma 19mm
    Sony 35mm
    Sony 55-200mm

I'm thinking of getting the Sony 50mm. But perhaps there's a more purposeful combo of lenses to bring to Honduras and I should wait on the 50mm?

Also, I've been considering upgrading the NEX-6, a camera I'm somewhat familiar with, to the a6000, which I'm not familiar with.

So, which combo of lenses would you recommend?
    Take the chance that I'll be comfortable with the a6000 and that it'd be worth upgrading prior to the trip?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Not knowing anything about the subjects you like to shoot, I have no opinion on which lenses you may want to bring. But I do have an opinion about going on a big trip with new and untested equipment: you may get lucky, but it's asking for trouble. :frown:
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    As to upgrading your NEX-6, I would IF you shoot a lot of action/moving shots. The improvements in the AF is amazing. If you mostly shoot static or slow moving objects, don't worry about it.

However, I would not uprade right before a big trip as woodworks says.
  4. thcaleb

thcaleb New to TalkEmount

Jun 26, 2013
    Edit: I narrowed it down: landscapes, cityscapes, panoramas, street photography. To rephrase it, I'd like suggestions on how to maximize the types of shots I can take while minimizing the amount of gear I can carry. I anticipate summiting a mountain, going cave exploring, walking around the cities, touring western Honduras in a bus maybe, being inside small buildings.

Thanks for the opinions on upgrading before a trip, both WoodWorks and davect01. And thanks for the AF recommendation.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015