Holy crap finally a native lens I can like !

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by nianys, Feb 11, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    The SEL 35/1.8 is here. At first (in good daylight) the AF responsiveness took me by surprise !!
    The lens is smallish (at least it isn't grossly disproportionate like most other E lenses), glossy black and looks sleek. It's silent and pretty fast, and optically, darn good.
    The only question is : is it relevant over the PEN 38/1.8 I love so much ? The PEN is certainly as good optically, maybe a slip hair sharper and with loads more character. The SEL seems to have smoother OOF areas. I need to play with it tonight in dim light to see if the AF remains usable and an asset, or if I'm still faster with the PEN and Peaking. In all events, it's an E lens I think I could love.
    Pictures in a bit.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Native E-Mount lenses don't have to be bad. The focus by wire works well once you got used to it, the AF is okay-ish and the metal barrel is nice to have. Glad you found one you like!

Just one question: Isn't the glossy black finish a fingerprint magnet?

3. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Interesting, interesting! What about the cameras? First impressions with the formidable pair?! ;)

4. zapatista

zapatista TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 4, 2012
    Denver, CO (USA)
    Mike
    Nianys thanks for the input, I'm looking for a "standard" lens. Even though it's large, I believe the 24mm Sony Zeiss lens is an excellent "native" lens as well. Of course, the 20mm f1.7 Panasonic pancake is equally good at 1/3 the price for m43--the Zeiss is way over-priced for what it is.

5. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    It's been listed right now ;)

Seriously, it does well, but the unit I got, while being in perfect shape with remaining warranty, has a pretty stiff/finicky thumb wheel, which makes it less pleasant than needed to use.
    Otherwise it's absolutely fine, the duration of the shutter operation is surprising at first (not the noise, as Kevin suggested) but no problem with it. Can't wait to get my 7, tomorrow.

6. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    I've just shipped mine, and will hopefully get the 7 tomorrow too (nervous). I hope I don't regret selling the C3! Looking forward to your pics with the 35mm.

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The 24mm CZ lens is much better built than any other native E-Mount lens and certainly better than the Panasonic 20mm 1.7. Furthermore, it's almost perfect from f/2 onwards - the Panasonic pancake is pretty bad without their software tricks.

I don't have much money, but the 24mm lens was definitely one that was worth every penny.

8. zapatista

Sep 4, 2012
    Denver, CO (USA)
    Mike
    Well, perceptions vary, I've shot over 1000 files with each lens, and the 24mm is a great lens, but it does not out resolve the 20mm on an OM-D. You're correct though, the 20mm is way better wide open.

9. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    SEL
    e179e78059e0e0b4987dbfb75356095d_de7.

PEN
    9922d46f11d032ac7eb68bf8aa0f7c50_de7.
    The focus point is not at the same spot, but gives an idea on how IQ generally compares...

SEL
    4d03fbb96e92cf801814d85f1db51f6b_de7.

PEN
    87730bd56f66188cbc5970ec74c9faff_de7.

SEL
    b86ecd5d4912a4e3244419809bbda6c7_0b9.
    (wide aperture + long nose = chose focus on either eyes OR nose, lol)

NOT a scientific test by any means...

Attached Files:

10. zapatista

Sep 4, 2012
    Denver, CO (USA)
    Mike
    Love the Pen F and OM mount color rendering!

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Can't comment on the resolution as I still use the 14 MP NEX-5, but resolution is by far not everything. The CZ lens has some CA problems, that's why it looks not as sharp as it really is, but in most other areas, it outperforms the Pana 20mm by a fair margin.

12. Peter Zapp

Peter Zapp TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 3, 2013
    In terms of usefulness a 35mm for APS-C is hard to beat, even more with OSS on board. Yes, I was whining about Nex E-Mount lenses being not less compact than manual "legacy" lenses for 35mm film SLRs or RFs, even despite of the smaller sensor, no complex mechanical RF or AE coupling, no unit-focussing screw thingy with non-rotating front, but linear motor with internal focussing. Yes, it is again more expensive than the same lens for APS-C DSLR. For perfection I would have preferred a telescope shade, but the (included for free) shades for most Nex lenses are better than what you get elsewhere.

For the masses vintage Olympus Pen or Leica M lenses are no viable option. I am not sure whether last week's firmware upgrade introducing hybrid AF compatibility to the 35/1.8 and some other has improved AF speed and liability, but it is faster than manual focus by groundglass, by RF or EVF. "Focus peaking" at times works great, at times is no help at all. The focus assist by 7x magnification is accurate, but in terms of handling and speed sets you back to Leica screwmount era, with separate eyepieces for viewfinder and RF.

In between Sony 35/1.8 and €99 Sigma 19/2.8 I found the Zeiss 24/1.8 hard to justify.

13. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think I prefer the Pen 38 images ever so slightly.

14. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Very nice. I think for the sake of actually having decent AF I'd go with the Sony :)

15. bcaslis

bcaslis New to TalkEmount

Jan 1, 2013
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I love the SEL35F18. Without this lens, I would not have bought the NEX-7. A fast native standard prime is a requirement for me, I think this lens works better than the Nikon 35mm f1.8 and is stabilized on top of that.

16. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Looks great. I have a 40 1.4 that I barely take off the camera but it would be nice to be able,to hand the camera to someone else to take a picture once in awhile. I really like the SEL501.8 but its not wide enough for this kind of usage. Makes a nice package for resale too.

17. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Ok, I'm in love, I'm keeping it. The AF *is* fast enough to actually be useful even in low light. Yes some hunting not as fast as an m4/3 proposition, but I did make quite a bunch of pics tonight that I might not have grabbed with the SEL 50 (or maybe I've lowered my AF standards ??). What I like is that, unlike the otherwise brilliant and widely acclaimed Oly 45/1.8, the rendering is NOT clinical or cold, it does show some character. I'll be editing and posting pics later on.

18. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Oh BTW, my C3 is already spoken for !! Cool....

19. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Excellent on both counts then! I'm glad you like the 35....I have seen a video that shows the xe-1 AF as slower then the NEX 6 ;)

20. bcaslis

bcaslis New to TalkEmount

Jan 1, 2013
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I find the SEL35 to be a much better focusing lens than the SEL50. I seen a number of times that a scene the SEL50 can't AF on, the SEL35 has no problem.