Holy cowy Hexanon 35 F:2 EE !!!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nianys, Sep 26, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    I bid on this lens on its (hard to read) reputation over only a very scarce few pages of information on the net. I grabbed it at a pretty low price, especially considering said reputation.
    I got it two days later, but couldn't try it yet due to not having yet the adapter to NEX.
    Adapter got here this morning so I slapped the lens on my 5N and started shooting odd stuff in the house (my daughter was already at day care, and me ready to leave for work within an hour).
    O.M.G. What a great lens !! Everything I read about it, and more.

Cons :
    long, big heavy. Lots of travel to the focus ring, it takes a lot of turning from minimum focus distance (which is close and good) to infinity. Looks really a bit out of place once you add the adapter ring on the 5N.

Pros :

close MFD
    Very heavy focus confirmation. The peaking color tends to swell in the contrasty areas quite nicely. By contrast, the Hexanon 50/1.7 I also tried along it this morning has very scarce and light peaking confimation. I'd almost need to use the Strong setting on the 50, and the Low should be enough, and more precise, on the 35.

Optically SUPERB. Already wide open it's a gem. Stop it down to 2.8 and it's bleeding sharp. At 4 performs surgery with it !

A GREAT feature is that it offers in between stops : 2, 2.5, 2.8, 3.5, 4, etc... Unlike many other older lenses that are stuck with full stops.

Focusing ring is very smooth, maybe a tad too lose. A micro bit stiffer would have been perfect.

Contrast is gorgeous. OOF areas are beautiful.
    I can see myself using this baby almost exclusively for everyday use.

It's a conspicuous lens, obviously old, with metallic vintage galore, and it's long and heavy, but its IQ is top, top notch.
    WOW. Will post pictures tonight. Very impressed si far !!
  2. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    Barbie35F2-01. MarlaSept12-109. RivaF2. Serre-têteF2.

All shots at F2, resized only, NO sharpening.
    Pretty awesome lens !
  3. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    Hmm, just checked the files in my post, it seems being processed by the site has degraded them quite a bit. They look a whole lot better on my computer...
  4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yes, attached files are degraded. But I don't mind as I think it protects your photography from being stolen.

Really nice pics as always!
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Looking good. Gotta love those kinds of finds.
  6. pictogramax

pictogramax TalkEmount Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Looking great! Congratulations!
  7. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    First of all congratulations on such a great find!

I don't know what 'pretty low price' means to you, but I couldn't find any auction for this lens under a thousand bucks!! :eek:
  8. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    Hmm... From what I gather here it can sometimes be offered around 400$. But I grabbed it cheaper.
  9. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    Sorry as usual the files look a bit degraded once uploaded to the site. But the lens is very, VERY nice.
  10. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    I think you're referring to the M mount version of the lens. I have the Konica AR Hexanon EE version.