Holly River SP (photo heavy)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by TonyTurley, May 17, 2014.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    My wife and I took an overnight trip to Holly River State Park in north-central WV last Saturday. I was carrying my Pentax K-30, and she carried my NEX-5R. First time she's used a camera that wasn't a P&S, I think. I stuck the SEL1855 on it, set it on Shutter Priority at 1/125s, and gave her a few pointers. Unfortunately, it was overcast the whole time we were in the woods, and our light was just a bright white haze. Still, I think she did a great job. These were from the 5R, and all but a couple were hers.

Early morning at an overlook on the way to Holly River SP.

Interesting burl on this Hemlock.

We had to cross the creek many times on our climb to the top of the mountain.

The forest was lush and green.

Me holding my K-30, with ruins of an ancient homestead far across the meadow.

This is the second homestead ruins I've encountered in the woods lately. Both were a long walk or horseback ride from anything resembling civilization. I bet there are dozens of such sites up the many secluded hollows in our state.

Umbrella Magnolia and Cucumber Magnolia (background tree trunks) were growing all over.

Tecumseh Falls is a long climb up near the mountain peak. The brochure photos are much more impressive. However, one has to cross the creek under the falls many times to reach the peak, so a high water flow equals a wet hiker.

I searched the caverns very carefully for bears and snakes before we entered.

My wife was yelling through clinched teeth "Take the picture - this is coooold!".

The mildew made some interesting patterns.

Ferns - lots of ferns.

Plenty of wildflowers.
    • Like Like x 9
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    She did quite well. I'm surprised she didn't have exposure issues @125 shutter priority. I guess the overcast helped. Any sun and everything would've been overexposed.
    Just curious, why not use auto?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Super series Tony. :)
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    1- What a wonderful location to go exploring.

2- She did well, nicely done. Only suggestion might be to use "P" or one of the auto modes instead.
  5. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks guys. The reason for Shutter Priority at 1/125 was the uneven light. There were places it was much darker than others, and I didn't want to risk the camera slowing the shutter speed so much she would get camera shake or blur. I always prefer manual myself, but my wife has never used anything but auto. I wanted to give her the best chance of success. Some of her photos were fairly dark, and I used RawTherapee on the RAW files to bring up the shadows. I've always found it tough to get the best photos under overcast conditions.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Nice place :)
    • Like Like x 1