Holly In Summer Haircut

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
My goldendoodle, Holly, loves to swim our pool which will occasionally result in ear infections... In order to mitigate the infections, we give her a short clip (especially around the ears) and use a medication in her ears prior to and after her pool swim... I had the 70-350mm lens on my Sony APSC camera to shoot a bluebird at my bird feeder when I saw my Holly on the couch. Although this lens is not ideal for low light shooting, the image came out O.K. for Internet posting at ISO 6400...
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
for low light shooting, the image came out O.K. for Internet posting at ISO 6400
Amazing. I'd expect to see noise in the sofa material, and I don't see any. Maybe the dog's fur might be better resolved at a lower ISO?

For my concert pics, I keep auto-100-to-1600, and find noise starting in skin shadow with 3200.

Lovely dog!

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe the dog's fur might be better resolved at a lower ISO? That would very likely be true but, I was shooting with what I had at the moment in a rather dimly lit circumstance.
ISO 6400 provided a 1/60 second exposure at the lens maximum aperture of f/4.5. Since I was shooting with an APSC camera with the lens at 70mm (the shortest focal length of the lens) 1/60 second was the slowest exposure I wanted to use.
This image was shot because I liked the dog's pose and because I wanted to see if the 70-350mm lens was viable in a low light situation such as this since the maximum aperture at 70mm (105mm equivalent) was f/4.5.
IMO, the lens and camera combination is quite useable - at least or online posting.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
It's very usable... it is great! And a very nice photograph.

What I was really saying is that I would not have expected my a6500 to do as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom