1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Holidays in four days. Which System to Bring?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sdsyver, Aug 2, 2014.

1. sdsyver

sdsyver Here to Learn and Enjoy!

Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    Hi every one. I am having a bit of a dilemma right now. I leave for a 2 week motorcycle trip through the Canadian Rockies and Prairies in four days and am unsure if I should bring my Olympus E-M1 with 12-40 and 35-100 f2.8 or my A7 with Zuiko 20 f2, Zeiss 55 f1.8 and Zuiko 85 f2. Both have pros and cons I know and both are roughly the same size packed up. I'm just looking for some opinions. Only have room for one system. Thanks in advance.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    We'll, I'd say bring the A7 of course. But which setup is more likely to get used? I prefer using zooms while traveling, especially on my motorcycle. So...

3. sdsyver

Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    Ya that is my thinking as well. And the olympus system is weather sealed while my A7 is only with the 55 on.

I took both on a recent holiday and both were well used. About a tie I'd say.

4. sdsyver

Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    Well I flipped a coin. Taking the A7. My wife is taking her GX7 so that made the decision a bit easier as well.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That works

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    It's probably not an issue, those vintage Zuiko lenses not being weather sealed. I once rode my bicycle across France for the whole month of November. I got rained on a lot and my old manual Nikkor lenses did just fine. (Actually, the 35mm was an early plastic-y AF model - probably even has some electronics inside. 23 years later, it's still going...)