1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Holiday Gifts and New Years Resolutions

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davect01, Dec 23, 2014.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    So just thought it would be interesting to know what you all might have bought in camera gear for the holidays and what the New Year has in store for you.

1- I myself binged on the A6000. I was not looking to upgrade from my NEX-6, but the deals they are running were to good to pass up.
    https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=9468

2- And are there any New Years Resolutions?
    Mine is two fold. To get a handle on using flash properly and start producing higher quality images.

2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I am awaiting delivery of my a7s, as for new years resolutions, mine is simply too shoot more often. I don't plan to sell my nex6 so ill probably keep that with my at work which should help.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Resolution? I'd like to upgrade to 24 megapixels in new year :)

Sent from my ZTE V967S using TalkEmount mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Yes, just to get you sell your nex 6 to me for 100 usa dollars.
    Alex

• Like Like x 1
  5. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Exactly why I wont sell it, nex6 used prices are very low so id rather just keep it heh

• Like Like x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Good luck on that one.

• Like Like x 1
  7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Fortunatly for me, I bought my NEX6 used and it seems to be selling for about $50.00 less than I bought it for, and about $100.00 less than I got my A6000.

I thought about keeping it, but I simply would never use it.

8. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I'm pretty well set as far as equipment goes...in fact I need to get a little more aggressive in selling off lenses that I no longer need due to overlap with other lenses. But hobby wise, the main thoughts I have for the future are:

1) Continue to work on improving the yield from my number of shots taken = reduce culls.
    The object not being to save shutter actuations or anything like that...but to minimize missed shot opportunities because of a quick less than razor sharp focus / blurred shot that has to be culled...I've had to toss a few that were just outstanding shots otherwise...but couldn't use them.
    >>>a) Slow down / don't "punch" the shutter button when I may not have shutter speed to handle it = reduce culls;
    >>>b) Improve aperture selection on long teles to ensure DoF is there = reduce culls

2) Find more scenic type shot opportunities;

3) Explore the Macro world further;

• Like Like x 1
  9. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    What he said. I also need to cull a few lenses. My NEX-6 and OM-D E-M5 are both like new, and I'm pretty happy with their output. I don't do NY resolutions, but I have been focusing of late on being content with what I have, and avoiding "For Sale" postings and eBay - both of which have taken a bite out of my wallet. I don't spend huge $$$ on my gear, but even $50 here or $100 there adds up quickly.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  10. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    My A7II and the Zeiss 55/1.8 were my Christmas gifts.

Last year I resolved to get more exercise. On January 1st, I walked 2 miles. On January 2nd, I walked 2 miles. On January 3rd, I walked about a mile, stepped in a chuck-hole, fell and tore my shoulder out. Thing popped out 6 different times berore I had surgery.

Resolutions? I pass. :)

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That sucks:-(

• Like Like x 1
  12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Regarding photography gear, I upgraded from a ThinkTank Retrospective 5 camera bag to a Retrospective 7
    (Retro 5 is ok for Nex-5 and 3 lenses but since the purchase of the Nex-6 AND big 18-105 the Retro 5 was a no go).

Xmas present from the wife since she was seeing how I was struggling to fit my gear in the Retro 5 :D

For the new year, I'd like to upgrade to a FF A7 or A7-ii or IF I'll stay APC-S I'd like to add the 10-18 lens.

• Like Like x 2
  13. riskinstrument

riskinstrument TalkEmount Regular

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    A6000 with kit and a 55-210, also a fotodiox olympus to e-mount.

• Like Like x 1
  14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice

15. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just realized I only responded in terms of resolutions...this is what I told my wife she got me for Christmas;

A mint Canon FDn 85-300 / 4.5 zoom lens...will be here next week

( stock photo image source mir.com )

• Like Like x 2
  16. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    I picked up a Nex 3c for £60 with kit lens just waiting for it to arrive, get a couple of primes for it and use it for the times I want 3:2 Ratio images and at the price it was hard to pass up. Have a full m43 kit so if I like what I get from the Nex Ill end up with a pretty full E mount kit too and a small Nikon 1 set up as I got a J2 for £40 with kit lens, but Ill just get the normal for that. Just hope I can hold off the desire for the Touit 32mm and just go for the 35mm OSS .

• Like Like x 1
  17. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I dipped my toe into the Fuji waters with the purchase of a used X100. Absolutely loved that thing, so I sold it....... and bought a new X100T. As an everyday carry camera and street machine it's fantastic, but I haven't sold any of my NEX gear. Right now I leave the house with only the X100T but when spring arrives that will change. Overall, I'm quite happy with my gear. The only thing I would like to buy is the Lee Filters Seve5n Micro Filter System, but they are a little pricey for me at this time.

My photography resolutions are to go on more planned shooting expeditions. I always carry a camera and shoot pretty much everyday but I really only shoot on my way to, or from work. It doesn't give me a lot of time to 'work a scene' and nothing is ever planned. I want to do more of that (especially the former) this coming year.

I want to learn more about art, specifically painting. I have no interest in actually painting but I want to study and understand more. It might improve my understanding of light and composition.

There are so many things I have no knowledge of, like flash photography, long exposure, macro, landscape and on and on but I don't want to get to side tracked by dabbling in so many things that I don't improve in one area.

I want to explore some motion things I've been trying with slow shutter speeds and movement to get what I'm looking for on a more consistent basis.

Shot's like these (sorry these are not e-mount but I will use my NEX-7 for this as well)

It's a Miserable Day

DSCF0518%20C1%202-Edit-L.jpg

The Genie is Out of the Bottle

DSCF0540%20C1-L.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  18. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    I would suggest looking at Daido Moriyama for the motion blur photographs he is quite the master of such works and one of my favourite artists, you may find some podcasts or videos on line about art history movements in art and compositional techniques etc. Though the best thing is to find works that interest you and spend time studying them, although where you can you will get more if you can see them in the flesh. I can't remember the books I used for Art History, I can recommend ones from my Photography degrees if it helps.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Thanks.

Daido Moriyama is also a favourite of mine.

I do spend time looking at works I like but I believe I'm lacking the education to study them properly. So, I want to educate myself in art in order to understand what I may be drawn to in the work I enjoy.

I'd appreciate any books you can suggest. Especially about composition and light.