1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hitting on an old favorite topic... "Passed" stickers!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NkedFatWhiteGuy, Apr 8, 2014.

1. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Okay, this is one that has come up so many times in the past 20 years, yet here I go bringing it up again...

Does anyone have any good reason to keep the stickers on their old lenses? I have so many that are barely hanging on to old lenses and cameras, yet I can't bring myself to tear them off like a Band-aid (quick and painless)! I don't know why I can't do it. I mean they don't really mean anything any longer do they? Now that pretty much anyone could forge them if they really wanted to, no equipment is tagged any longer, and we all now know that camera equipment manufactured in Japan is generally of good/great quality, right?

Can someone give me the permission to take them off or tell me to get out the glue and keep those little suckers on there?

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1397003192.588229.
    Passed!!

3. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Is that one of the silver ones? I don't have any of those silver stickers in my collection!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Yes it is. Lol

5. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I took one off one day and then Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait. I am reluctant to take any more off.

• Like Like x 5
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
  7. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    I always yoink mine off! I must have caused most of the conflict in world in recent years :(

On a serious note, why are they even there? Is it quality control in the factory? or second hand shops applying them, or both?

I use my lenses first and foremost, so don't care (sorry!) but I guess it would be important to collectors, hence the silver sticker comment! :p

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    They are mainly for marketing. There were some terrible cameras/lenses made in Japan (remember this was when Japanese were the cheap imitators) so the better manufacturers set up 'Japan Camera Industry Institute' and it issued these stickers to inspected camera and lens models.The stickers were glued in the factory after their own quality control.

Nothing really to do with excellent optical quality, more to do with minimum standards.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I think that does it. I am ripping them all off! Every last one of them: Minolta, Canon, Fuji, Olympus, Pentax... all of them wil go!!! Do not remove mattress tags are the next target.

If there is an invasion or political uprising as a result, you have all been warned!
    ;-)

10. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I prefer the way Zeiss does it - shipping every lens with a separate quality control seal letter with the info who is to blame if the quality control failed. This way, I can keep my quality control seal in the box while I wear and tear the lens to it's last breath of life. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Poki, I agree! It is so much easier to "keep record" if need be; just match up serials. Keeps things looking better as the lens get good use!

12. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Note to self. Don't buy second hand Zeiss from Poki

13. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh, don't worry, I would never sell one of my treasures. ;)

14. pvp_victor

pvp_victor TalkEmount Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    bangalore, india
    Vijay
    You are humorous. Thanks for making me burst out. Side effect was, guys near me were giving me a concerned look.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Oh dear, another side effect of taking that 'passed' sticker off! I really do need to be more careful. :)

• Like Like x 1