1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Histogram management

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pshojo, Sep 22, 2013.

1. pshojo

pshojo TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 5, 2013
    I'm finding my self using histogram , now that I understand what they do. If I'm showing excessive under exposure (left side), what are methods of fixing this?

2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Interesting.......

Are you talking about the camera histogram or using the histograms in a photo editor prog?

Personally, I have found the histogram feature of my NEX 3 to be more or less useless since it offers a token only and can't bee seen when you are adjusting exposure anyway! I have found it better to place metering point (for critical work) ...then shoot in RAW and use the histograms in the editor.

The histogram provision (such as it is) of NEX 3 is one of the very few areas where the camera is inadequate compared to the pentax dslrs I used previoulsy.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    What do you mean by 'can't be seen while adjusting exposure'? Sure it can. You can always show it on the top right of the screen. Probably the worst part is that it's taken from the sensor read-out converted to JPEG, but that's like it is in any other camera too and once you got rid of all things like DRO it's pretty accurate.

@pshojo: If you want to 'get it to the right', just 'expose to the right', i.e. add exposure compensation +.