1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

highwire act

Discussion in 'Nature' started by davect01, Nov 11, 2011.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Caught this little guy hanging on the wire.

DSC00019%252Bw.

DSC00032%252Bw.

DSC00044%252Bw.

Not as clear as I would have liked, but shot from really far away handheld.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Still pretty clear considering that it's hand held. I find using the the anti motion blur really helpful when I'm shooting a long telephoto hand held. I also find using the continuous advance equally helpful (provided I'm using a fast shutter speed), I shoot a fair few shots and use the clear ones.

P.S. Cute Peregrine (I think) btw :)

3. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I think your focus is also a little off as on the first image the cable and the feet seem more in focus then the rest of the bird. Was this AF or MF? Did you use peaking or magnification? (the questions are just because I'm curious about how people shoot MF on the NEX)

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    manual all the way

Ya these were all manual shots with a Vivitar 500mm. Thought they were a bit clearer on the camera's screen.

Oh well this is what you get for using the wrong tool for the job. This lens is only good when on a tripod, then it is spot on.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I have never been able to hand hold my 500 mirror. Half the time it's not in focus on a tripod either. That is a handsome bird though.

6. jfazer

jfazer TalkEmount Regular

Dec 1, 2011
    Spain
    As storyteller said, I think your focus is a little off... Besides, if you are shooting with a 500, you must do it at least using 1/1000 velocity (double of the focal you are using...) to avoid vibrations...