1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Highlight alert

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Jan 7, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi there,
    I was wondering if my nex-f3 camera can show when the highlights are burned during composition time and not just after the shot is taken.
    Is there something like that?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help

Regards
    Alex

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    The histogram will tell you.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    is not always visible that you burn a bit.. and there are times that information is where that small bit is. Sad story at two white ducks yesterday

4. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    There are tolerances that you need to get used to for you lenses. If a particular lens tends to underexpose a bit then compensate for it.

You have to get 'feel' part of it as well as the science part Alex. It's not right and wrong, black and white. It's not even always 18% grey.

• Like Like x 1
  5. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    To complicate it a bit more, whether the highlights or shadows are really "blown" can depend on what file format you're shooting. If you shoot raw, there may be plenty of data in the shadows / highlights, even though they look blown on the camera. You can recover using a raw converter on your computer - lightroom, aperture, PS, ... If you shoot jpg's, though, blown is blown, and there's not much you can do about it in post. Just one more reason to always shoot raw. (And, I guess, to get comfortable shooting HDR when appropriate.)

6. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    If they could add the Zebra stripes from the A7/A7R to older models via firmware, that'd be great. But more than likely the older processors can't handle it

7. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Older Alphas had this zebra feature as well!
    Don't know why they didn't adapt it for NEX...

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Also, it's not always a sin for some highlights to be blown. I walked into a huge gallery once, and there was a HUGE print of a photo at the entrance that had the sky completely blown out, but it was still an awesome photograph and stunning to look at this size. You just need to feel if it is right or not, and you will get that feel with some practice.

• Like Like x 1
  9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    zebra does need really a lot processing power.
    my canon powershot compact runs it