High ISO Noise Reduction Feature on NEX-7

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Sep 23, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Experimenting with High ISO NR on the NEX-7.
    Usually when I shoot ISO400 in low light, especially with a dark to black background, I get a lot of noise, making many shots unuseable.
    Decided to switch the setting from Normal NR to High NR for a few days and see what, if any, kinds of trends might become noticeable.

The only potential negative I can find related to the feature is that some minor amount of processing time might take place after a shot, making various burst modes of shooting a little slower or something.
    But if that's the only trade-off, the High NR benefit (for me) might be a good one with a lot of wildlife shots taken in low light...will soon see.

Titmouse / ISO400 / High NR 'on' / regular Canon 300/4.0 (not L version), NEX-7 JPEG...still some noise but not terribly objectionable for a gloomy overcast day with a black background.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    I've played myself with that setting, albeit on a lower resolution sensor (Nex 5R), I usually stick with it on Normal, could you post an image of one of the shots rendered unusable by the noise on dark areas? The Nex 7 is a quite different beast.

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just some additional points:
    I shoot JPEG only;
    I don't have any on hand as I discard them;
    And of course, "unusable" would be in the eye of the beholder so to speak;
    But I'll try to remember this thread

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Couple more shots.....Hairy Woodpecker at 40’ in low light
    Canon FDn 300/4.0
    NEX-7, ISO400, High ISO Noise Reduction set to 'High'

• Like Like x 4
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Another experiment.
    Shot under practically dark, gloomy, drizzling, very low light conditions.
    Canon FDn 400mm lens wide open @ f/4.5, NEX-7.
    Shot the clump of mushrooms from the window sill, not a tripod.
    ( didn't have quite enough DoF but the test was for 'noise' so I didn't care for this particular test.)
    ISO1600 with High ISO Noise Reduction on 'High'.
    Given all the above, I thought it turned out surprisingly well.
    If deer don't eat them tonight, I'll reshoot a 300mm lens & better rest.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    To my surprise the local deer must not have been through the back yard as the mushrooms survived the night. This morning’s High ISO Noise Reduction experiment was under identical dark, cloudy, rainy conditions as yesterday, NEX-7 set at ISO1600 with High ISO NR set to HIGH.

300mm for a little more DoF and 2-second timer on a sand bag at the window sill. At least on my laptop screen, I’m impressed at the apparent lack of noise at that ISO under those poor light conditions. And so far, haven't noticed any negative side effects using High ISO NR set to High.

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    A good test today for High ISO Noise Reduction on the NEX-7.
    Very dark, cloudy, raining on and off, low-light kind of day.
    Shot this Female Cardinal at ISO1600 with High ISO-NR set on high.
    Under these conditions, I thought it did pretty well.
    1st photo shows the whole scene.
    2nd photo is cropped up to show noise better.

• Like Like x 2
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    More Testing: This time at ISO3200 with High ISO Noise Reduction set to High in the NEX-7.
    Dark, cloudy, rainy conditions, objects were 40 to 100 feet away.
    Canon FDn 400/4.5 lens.
    I can’t believe I didn’t do this level of detailed testing with High ISO NR before this. It doesn’t seem to have any negative effects on the primary subject, and noise that does still show up only seems to appear on dark backgrounds, much of which can be cropped out anyways.
    A huge benefit with nature/wildlife shots in dark woods and/or in dawn & dusk low light, yet stopping down is needed for DoF.

• Like Like x 1
  9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    An example of ISO400 + High ISO-NR
    Canon FDn 300/4.0-L, on NEX-7

• Like Like x 1
  10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Continued cloudy / rainy weather, still shooting the NEX-7 HIGH ISO Noise Reduction set on HIGH. Canon FDn 300/4.0-L
    Young July/August litter Squirrel starting to get out & around...checking out the backyard birdbath.

• Like Like x 1
  11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    The Bad News is the 7 day forecast continues to be the same every day...cloudy/overcast/dark/rainy...but the Good News is it continues to provide opportunities to experiment with higher than normal ISO, while having "High ISO Noise Reduction" set on HIGH.

I rarely ever use ISO200/400 due to the noise...AND have more discards in low light due to slower shutter speeds from low ISO and teles with only moderate max apertures.
    But after playing with High ISO Noise Reduction set on HIGH for a few days...I'm going to leave the NEX-7 NR set there until further notice....see how things go long term now using ISO400 / 800, more routinely with the slower teles.

This Chickadee is at ISO800 with the 300/4.0 in very poor lighting...and while there is a little noise in the green foliage background, to be honest I don't find it all that objectionable for this scene...its almost a form of 'bokeh'.
    If I'd have shot it at ISO400, without High-NR set to HIGH, I would have had to discard it for a lot more noise...and/or...a softer image due to a slower shutter speed.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Another example, between showers:
    ISO3200, NEX-7 High ISO/NR on HIGH
    Canon FDn 300/4.0-L @ f5.6

13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Conditions for more testing of High ISO with High ISO NR set on HIGH:

Continued dark, cloudy, rainy on the East coast for the next 5 days

14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Sick of this rain but this Male Bluebird showed up, hunting under poor low light rainy conditions.
    Canon FDn 300/4.0-L, NEX-7, ISO800+High ISO/NR on HIGH