Hi from NH, USA

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by John D., Oct 8, 2013.

1. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Hi folks,

Just a short introduction - my name is John Dunkle and I'm new to the NEX family with a "new to me" NEX 6. I've been a Nikon shooter since (and, well - I guess this will date me ;) ) high school in 1972. I shoot mostly for "me", but do paid work for real-estate agents for their higher-end listings as requested - and part-time only (I have a couple of other jobs as well, so it's as I'm available). During the peak of the season - it's usually about three to five properties a week... Anyway - while I've been wrapped in the "soft warm Nikon blanket of love" for many decades, I was looking for a small, compact camera - and something that would accommodate an extensive library of Nikkor lenses... And no offense to Nikon - but the Nikon 1 VR simply doesn't compare to higher end Sony NEX line... While I'm still struggling with the menu system - I'll figure it out.. ;)

So - I started shooting with the NEX 6 yesterday - and took this on my way to a paid shoot early in the AM - and have a couple more processed, but I like this one best so far... Hopefully - I'll have the chance to spend a bit more time with the NEX 6 over the fall season, but so far - I'm really impressed..!

I'm glad I found this community - and glad to be a part of it...

-John

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome John, and thanks for introducing yourself with such a great image! Yes, the NEX menus will make you pull your hair out from time to time, but eventually you come to terms with its, um, quirks. And as a NEX-6 shoot myself, I applaud your choice of camera!

• Like Like x 1
  3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Welcome John. Nice shot - Looks like the Portsmouth area, if I had to guess.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    Welcome John. Very nice picture. I use the Navi screen on my 6 a lot. Check it out.

Larry

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey John, welcome to the NEX and the forum. Great pic, looking forward to seeing more. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    HI folks.!

My sincerest thanks for the warm welcome and comments about the attached pic...! It's very appreciated!

As well - what really strikes me is the outstanding performance of this camera vs. even my higher-end Nikons. While I'm still struggling with the controls (for example, when shooting in Manual mode - the silly shutter speed dial keeps changing the Display View, unless I'm really careful :) ) - but, I'm guessing that's part of the "charm" and learning curve? And yep - Nikons have their own "quirks"...

For that, I'm astounded at the performance of the NEX 6 - without any "tweaks" - and its ability when coupled with some classic Nikon glass. For that, the three Sony e-Mount lenses I have are no slouches either, but - I still haven't had the chance to really run them through their paces... I'm looking forward to that opportunity!

And oh - dbmiller..? Right on the money! Yes - Portsmouth NH..!

Again - my thanks again for your comments!

John

7. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Thought it looked familiar

Heh... Only reason I know is posted in this thread

8. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    GREAT PICS!!! (<-- a little "promotion" of my hometown ;)!! ) BUT - outstanding! If you download the Yahoo Weather app for your iPhone/iPad/Android device - and key in "Portsmouth NH" - you'll see a bunch of my pics (depending on the weather in Portsmouth?)...

They pull from my Flickr account - BUT - most were taken with my Nikon DSLRs, as I just got my NEX 6 - so I won't repost them here... However - my first Yahoo Weather picture from my NEX was accepted yesterday... I'll attach that below..

Here is my Flicker site - with a lot of Portsmouth, if you are interested..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/JohnDunkle

Next time you are in my area - please let me know, OK?? By then - I hope to have the danged NEX 6 Menu system "mastered" - so, that being the case - no rush ;) HA!!!

John

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    Welcome John - I like your images!

• Like Like x 1
  10. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Thank you Colin..!

John

11. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    I like the looks of the old style sea ports. The last pic was nice. Hope to see more.

Larry

• Like Like x 1