1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi from NH, USA

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by John D., Oct 8, 2013.

1. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Hi folks,

Just a short introduction - my name is John Dunkle and I'm new to the NEX family with a "new to me" NEX 6. I've been a Nikon shooter since (and, well - I guess this will date me ;) ) high school in 1972. I shoot mostly for "me", but do paid work for real-estate agents for their higher-end listings as requested - and part-time only (I have a couple of other jobs as well, so it's as I'm available). During the peak of the season - it's usually about three to five properties a week... Anyway - while I've been wrapped in the "soft warm Nikon blanket of love" for many decades, I was looking for a small, compact camera - and something that would accommodate an extensive library of Nikkor lenses... And no offense to Nikon - but the Nikon 1 VR simply doesn't compare to higher end Sony NEX line... While I'm still struggling with the menu system - I'll figure it out.. ;)

So - I started shooting with the NEX 6 yesterday - and took this on my way to a paid shoot early in the AM - and have a couple more processed, but I like this one best so far... Hopefully - I'll have the chance to spend a bit more time with the NEX 6 over the fall season, but so far - I'm really impressed..!

I'm glad I found this community - and glad to be a part of it...

-John

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome John, and thanks for introducing yourself with such a great image! Yes, the NEX menus will make you pull your hair out from time to time, but eventually you come to terms with its, um, quirks. And as a NEX-6 shoot myself, I applaud your choice of camera!

• Like Like x 1
  3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Welcome John. Nice shot - Looks like the Portsmouth area, if I had to guess.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    Welcome John. Very nice picture. I use the Navi screen on my 6 a lot. Check it out.

Larry

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey John, welcome to the NEX and the forum. Great pic, looking forward to seeing more. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    HI folks.!

My sincerest thanks for the warm welcome and comments about the attached pic...! It's very appreciated!

As well - what really strikes me is the outstanding performance of this camera vs. even my higher-end Nikons. While I'm still struggling with the controls (for example, when shooting in Manual mode - the silly shutter speed dial keeps changing the Display View, unless I'm really careful :) ) - but, I'm guessing that's part of the "charm" and learning curve? And yep - Nikons have their own "quirks"...

For that, I'm astounded at the performance of the NEX 6 - without any "tweaks" - and its ability when coupled with some classic Nikon glass. For that, the three Sony e-Mount lenses I have are no slouches either, but - I still haven't had the chance to really run them through their paces... I'm looking forward to that opportunity!

And oh - dbmiller..? Right on the money! Yes - Portsmouth NH..!

Again - my thanks again for your comments!

John

7. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Thought it looked familiar

Heh... Only reason I know is posted in this thread

8. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    GREAT PICS!!! (<-- a little "promotion" of my hometown ;)!! ) BUT - outstanding! If you download the Yahoo Weather app for your iPhone/iPad/Android device - and key in "Portsmouth NH" - you'll see a bunch of my pics (depending on the weather in Portsmouth?)...

They pull from my Flickr account - BUT - most were taken with my Nikon DSLRs, as I just got my NEX 6 - so I won't repost them here... However - my first Yahoo Weather picture from my NEX was accepted yesterday... I'll attach that below..

Here is my Flicker site - with a lot of Portsmouth, if you are interested..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/JohnDunkle

Next time you are in my area - please let me know, OK?? By then - I hope to have the danged NEX 6 Menu system "mastered" - so, that being the case - no rush ;) HA!!!

John

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    Welcome John - I like your images!

• Like Like x 1
  10. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Thank you Colin..!

John

11. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    I like the looks of the old style sea ports. The last pic was nice. Hope to see more.

Larry

• Like Like x 1