Hi Everyone!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by JonathanF2, Apr 27, 2015.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I'm another Mu-43 forum crossover! I recently picked up a pair of NEX-6 bodies for cheap mainly to use with my adapted Nikon F mount lenses. For what I paid I'm pretty happy with the performance I'm getting from these cameras.

Though I'm sort of at a dilemma, because there are a couple lenses on the M43 side which I really like due to size, price and performance...mainly my 9/15mm BCL, 20mm and the Panasonic 45-150mm. So I'm not really sure what to do, and I feel like it'd be overkill to run two mirrorless systems. On top of that, I'm not liking how the NEX-6 EVF gets grainy/slow in low light even after turning 'setting effects' off. Coming from Olympus, I prefer how their EVFs maintain a decent frame rate even when light gets dim. I'm not sure if getting the A6000 would match the Olympus EVF or not (tried the A7 EVF in low light, and I still felt Olympus was better in this area).

On the topic of the A7, I also tried that body and despite having a very good sensor, I actually preferred the NEX-6 mainly due to size and "good enough" (for me) image quality. I'm using the Lens Turbo II adapter and strangely I tend to prefer how my shots look with the adapter and adapted glass.

I apologize ahead of time for unloading my thoughts on here, but it seems lately having cross-platform discussions on the other forum tend to get heated!:D

Anyways here are some samples of what I've been shooting recently, shot with the NEX-6 + Lens Turbo II adapter and either the Voigtlander 20mm or 40mm SL-II lenses for Nikon:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 10
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome Jonathan! It's always great to see some images when anyone introduces themselves. I really like the LA river and switching yard shots, as well as the b&w. I'm sorry that I can't be any help with your dilemma, because I also came from the ยต4/3 platform and then to a NEX-6 before moving on to the A7, and I can't see myself going back. :D

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome from me too and nice set of photos ;)

4. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Hey Jonathan, I recognize you from Mu-43! AND whoa, just posted a very similar topic. Hopefully I can get some crossover advice too!! Here is my thread... https://www.talkemount.com/threads/11651/

Ha! And I was saying the same thing, that it seems to not be a good topic over there when one talks about leaving that system.. DOH! lol

5. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    P.S. really like this photo set. Always liked your stuff over on mu-43. Those last 2 are awesome! ;)

6. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    After thinking about it, I think I'll be going all the way into the Sony camp. I actually prefer Olympus handling and features, but in terms of price/performance the Sony bodies are giving me a lot of bang for the buck. I also have a Nikon FX kit for work, so I don't really see myself migrating to the FE system.

Yeah, I think Mu-43 is getting very hostile to anyone shooting multiple camera systems. It's a shame too, because I've met a lot of good people there.

7. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Welcome and nice pics!

8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Wonderful photos! I just traveled through L.A. earlier this month and recognize that motel! The eggplant stir fry looks appetizing.
    Welcome to E-mount. I came from Canon, and weighed whether to go m4/3. But the release of the a6000 swayed me.
    I don't think you'll do better EVF wise with the 6000. It struggles in low light too.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome. I too preferred the NEX-6 to the 7, until migrating to the A6000.

10. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Thanks for the welcome guys!

11. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    Welcome convert!
    Nice images as always.

12. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Welcome to the forum, great pics, love number 5. Unfortunately while the nex-6 is a great little camera it does have its shortcomings.

13. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    I have always liked your pictures before even when you were in Pentax forum. The last train yard photo is so nice.

14. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Thanks! After some thought, I'll probably stick to the NEX-6 bodies I have for awhile. I tried the A6000 and think it's great, but I'll wait it out and see how the replacement pans out, especially if the rumors of 3-axis IBIS are true.

Haha, I'm actually pretty active on another Nikon forum, but I've never shot Pentax in my life! Perhaps I have a doppelganger somewhere! :D

15. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Thanks John! Did you get my message about the Olympus BCLs?

16. bobmadison

bobmadison TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 8, 2014
    Lovely Brown SoCal
    Bob
    Welcome Jonathan
    It is always nice to see another face from the "Cafe"
    Bob aka imagemaker

• Like Like x 1