Hi Everyone! Excited new a6000 owner.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by WNG, Aug 12, 2014.

1. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Hello from the desert Southwest of the USA! I'm glad to have found this forum! I just got my alpha 6000 last week and thrilled with it. I used to shoot with a Canon DSLR system. But it was stolen, along with all my possessions and home. But that's another story awaiting to become a screenplay for a movie. :)

I'm an EE from back East. I did some DSP development for digital imaging. And Q/A-ed on some in-house digital camera designs. Before digital, I used a Minolta Maxxum 5000, and a range finder before that in the 70s.

Anyway, I tired of hauling a big backpack of L lenses, tripods, and speedlight all over in order to shoot some nice photos.
    So, I elected to try mirrorless as my replacement camera. I am also an avid cyclist, and enjoy documenting bike trips with memorable photographs. I desired something better than a P/S. And it came down to m-4/3s or Sony APS-C. The new a6000 won me over. It looks to be well reviewed and feature-rich. I hope it will be my ideal trip camera.

It will accompany me on a Pacific Coast bike tour this month. It and I will be put to the test.

I have both kit lenses....the powered zoom, and 18-55mm, the E55-210mm zoom, 50mm f1.8, and added a Sigma 19mm EX DN.
    A compact Manfrotto pistol grip tripod for my travels. But I have still yet to acquire a speed light.

I probably will only take 1 or 2 lenses due to constraints on how much I can pack.

Hope you folks don't mind my pesky questions as I get up to speed. :D

Here's a recent effort with my new camera that I'm happy with the results......

[​IMG]The Lost Dutchman is Restless by WNG555, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Welcome, and a great shot there.

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Welcome from me too!!!
  4. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Welcome. Many of us love the portability of the NEX line.
  6. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Welcome! I'm sure it's going to be your favorite camera! ;-)
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Yes, welcome. It's always great when an introduction comes with a great image. Here's hoping for more soon!
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Thanks for the warm welcome, folks! And happy the photo is well received. There will be a lot more available via my flickr link.... once I figure out the avatar/signature set up. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Welcome Will. That is a killer photo with which to introduce yourself.