Hi all!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Orange, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Hello! Obviously my name isn't actually David Bailey, I just thought it was amusing!

Anyway, hello all. I've just purchased my first mirrorless camera in the form of a NEX-6, I'm just waiting for it to be delivered. I recently sold all my DSLR gear to fund this purchase, as I now want a more "everyday useable " camera with less bulk, hence the switch.

I'm from England and look forward to posting, reading and improving my knowledge and ability via the forum!

Cheers for reading! ;)

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Hi and welcome.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome, not David Bailey. ;)

4. LuvMusic

LuvMusic TalkEmount Regular

Dec 11, 2012
    Chicago area
    Welcome to the community!

5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Hey there, great choice of camera, post soon !

6. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Hey, thank you all for the welcomes, much appreciated.
    nianys I will post away once I get my camera!

7. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome to the NEX world David!

Just try to mentally pace yourself when the parcel arrives - remember you'll need a few more hours of battery charging before you can finally savour some NEX bliss. Other's have been known to go nuts from NEX-crave-syndrome during the charge-up period! :D

8. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Haha cheers Dioptrick! You got quite a collection of lenses there. I'm going to sell the 16-50mm pz almost straight away, then use the money for the Sigma 30mm & 19mm. Then eventually go for an old school manual, that's partly what attracted me to the NEX - it's ability to take almost any lens! Cracking stuff.
    Cheers!

9. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    yeah I agree it took mine 3 1/2 hours to charge I was going nuts the next day the spare battery I purchased turned up it still had 77% charge from new was full in 15 mins. anyway welcome to the forum Not David Bailey would be a good idea to put your real first name in your post so we know what to really call you seems a little strange calling you David when we know thats not your name.

Paul

10. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Hi Simsy, yes you're right, I didn't really think that through did I? Signature changed to make life easier for all!

Dioptrick, it seems NEX-crave-syndrome started weeks ago, according to my wife!!!

11. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Haha... just don't show her your hands when they tremble, you'll be fine, lol.

Oh, you're just gonna love adapting legacy lenses onto your NEX... and manual focus can be quite a lot of fun (some say addictive).

12. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    I don't plan on adapting any lenses myself because thats not the reason I bought the camera but you are very right about the manual focus I would of never thought that manual focus could be so fast or so much fun the peaking mode is awesome. Hes going to love that I'm sure.

13. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    The good thing about the NEX is that it's a stable platform for both.

I've just come back from a 5 day photo-holiday. I took my 16mm and 18-55mm AF kit lenses with me as back-ups and a handpicked selection of MF legacies. The legacies are a lot of fun in specialized situations but I have to admit that in a holiday context, the legacies were a pain to lug around, let alone interchange. In the end I decided to carry only the AF kit lenses in my satchel bag... with the SEL18-55 staying on the camera most of the time - which did a stellar job I might add. :)

14. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Thats the exact reason I got a nex in the first place I have the 18-55 and the 55-210 kit lenses just to travel with but I didn't expect it to be so much fun. I have been tossing up the idea of getting the 16mm but I'm not sure its worth it.

Sorry for the thread Hijack

15. Derichuk

Derichuk TalkEmount Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Deric
    I am so glad I am not the only one with the Nex Craze! Went nuts on boxing day and got my Nex-6 and the Sigma 30mm. Today I got the Novo adapter for my Nikorr lenses. Have pictures sitting on my hard drive while I try and figure out Flickr and LR4. Plan on keeping the pz kit lens for travel as it is so flexible. Grats Atul, aka David Bailey, I love mine and I know you will love yours!

16. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    Hi, and welcome. In a bizarre twist my immediate neighbour here in Oz is genuinely called David Bailey! Yes, I've asked. No, he isn't into photography even a little bit.

17. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome and congrats on the purchase!!! ;)

18. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Cheers bud!

Thanks & hi.

Lol ok got it, no hands!!!

Yeah really looking forward to trying out the peaking.

No worries.

Cheers can't wait!

19. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I have to agree with this. I choose to shoot MF lenses most of the time because I like the process of using MF lenses on the NEX. But, whenever I'm going into a situation where I need to move faster (hand held instead of a tripod, wildly changing conditions etc.), or I'm constrained by my environment (indoors), or just not sure what I'll be shooting on an outing I break out the SEL lenses and blast away. Sometimes you just can't beat a zoom, and the SEL zooms are much lighter (and usually smaller for a given focal length) than MF zooms.

Right now it really isn't an issue. I use rangefinder lenses that are small/light enough that I can carry them and the SEL lenses and not break my back if I so desire. My only real dilemma at the moment is whether to get the SEL1018 or the CV12. My MF side says get the CV, my practical side says get the 1018. Depending on which one I get it may become and either/or situation- one set will have to stay home. Or I'll have to start lugging a larger bag. Uhhh… no! ;)

20. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    It's here!!!! Just arrived today! Well chuffed!
    Right, I'm off for a play now ... (with the camera I mean lol) :eek:
    :D:D:D