HHT example

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Bimjo, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Woke this morning to a bit of snow. Coming down harder now than it was when I took these @ 0630. I decided to try out the Hand Held Twilight (HHT) mode on the 5N to see if it worked. These were taken @ ISO 6400, 1/25 sec exposure, f/3.5 kit zoom. first shot is OOC, second is tweaked in PS. The first is pretty close to what the scene actually looked like.

snow_morn120118_01a.

snow_morn120118_01b.

Couple more on my blog site.

2. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I've noticed that HTT takes photos at ISO 6400 but with less noise, and some photos are beautiful

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, it's a pretty neat feature.

4. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    can't wait to try it..... ;-)

5. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Thanks for bring up this wonderful 'hand held twilight' feature guys, and great examples there. The first time I tried this feature it startled me a bit because I wasn't expecting my 5N to take a quick burst of successive shots!

Anyway, I unexpectedly found myself in a macro-shot opportunity during one of my dawn walks but had no tripod. Light was pretty low and I couldn't find a stick to hold-on to steady my shot. At f5 the shutter speed was pretty decent at 1/160 so I knew the camera had selected a high ISO, but at least I'd be able to take the shot. I've seen the prowess of the 5N sensor on 'dpreview' and knew the noise or grain will be more than acceptable. Then I remembered HHT or in my case HHD (hand held dawn) :eek:

I assume the HHT feature was intended for landscapes - not macro, but I didn't read the manual so that's my excuse, lol.

Here's what I got:

No HHT
    NoHHT.
    E18-55mm zoom at 55mm, f5.6, 1/160

With HHT
    WithHHT.
    E18-55mm zoom at 50mm, f5.0, 1/160

I didn't take note of the ISO but I'd expect them to be quite high and the same on both shots.