Hey y'all, from Texas. (a6500)

Se7en62

New to TalkEmount
Hey y'all, I'm glad to have found this forum. I lurked around today and read a lot of well-informed posts that convinced me to join up. I just bought a Sony a6500 last weekend for $700 from a local photographer who was upgrading to an a7ii. No lens included, but for the price I couldn't beat it.

I'm lens shopping now and looking to pick up a wide-angle zoom lens for interior/exterior photos and video. I like the Tamron 10-24mm A-mount and the Sony 10-18mm E-mount. I'm just trying to figure out which way I should go?

I'm leaning towards the Tamron 10-24 with a Sony LA-EA4 adapter w/ TMT. Does anyone know if this setup will cause in corner distortion or vignette with the a6500's APS-C sensor?

I know it's roughly the same cost, but my thought is that with that same money I'll provide myself the ability to use more A-mount lenses. I just don't know how many are out there that won't distort and if having that adapter is worth it in the long-run.

Thanks and glad to be here!

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Edwin
I don't use 6500 but for that amount of money, you could've gotten A7 unless you shoot videos especially 4k. Welcome fellow Texan!

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
:Welcome:

I also had the 10-18 when on an A6000. I really liked it, it is pretty compact and good IQ. I would choose the 10-18 unless there was a significant IQ advantage for the Tamron.

fractal

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Sony SEL 10-18 f/4 is a good UW lens. At 10mm it's at it's weakness ( RE: corner distortion ) but rest of the range is very good. It's not as sharp as the FE 12-24 but much lighter (and cheaper) and takes a filter. Regarding A-mount I used to use the LA-EA 4 adaptor - AF is slow and you'll lose about 1/3 stop of light plus add bulk to your set-up. I ended up getting an LA-EA 3 (no translucent mirror) and just went manual focus (for my Minolta Maxxum 200mm 2.8).

The other nice thing about the 10-18 is that you can use it on a FF camera with an approx range of 12-16mm. Which I've done with good results.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Heinz Memorial Chapel by Chris Dikos, on Flickr

Welcome to the board! Looking forward to seeing your photos. The A6500 is a great camera.

Last edited:

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
Welcome, Se7en62! I do not use a a6500 nor do I shoot ultra wide (I am not good at organizing that much information in one image). But you can trust the advice given above is from well informed users.

Se7en62

New to TalkEmount
Thank y'all for the warm welcome!

Alright, so I know the feedback this far has been unaninously in support of the Sony 10-18. However, I've found that I can get that same Tamron lens, but for a Canon for $220 in practically new condition.

Now, to mount it I have found the VILTROX EF-E II Speed Booster 0.71x on Amazon for $188. I have a friend who has been a pro for 20 years and he says those speed booster adapters work really well on his cameras. That being said, the Tamron 10-24 and the Speed Booster would effectively give close to spec performance from the lens and cost HALF what the Sony 10-18.

Thoughts?

On another note, I visited my folks today to help with my Dad's remodel and he ended up pulling out an old Minolta and a couple of Minolta lenses I never knew he had. They are in my possession now and will post some info once I identify what I have at hand.

P.S.-I found your forum through a good search while researching these cameras and lenses.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Welcome to the forum! The a6500 will give you a lot of satisfaction in image quality and performance.
You don't need the speed booster to get similar output of the Sony 10-18mm. The Tamron's 10-24mm will look the same FOV wise. With the speed booster, you're resulting in an equivalent 7-17mm native lens. No idea if the speed booster will introduce greater distortion and smearing of the edges. And if the brand of adapter is going to provide all the AF capability. These are not certain with all lenses, especially 3rd party one that had to reverse engineer the EF mount's protocol.

Perhaps it's worth experimenting for you, and the cost seems justified. If it does work, then you'll have an even wider set up of 10-24. But bear in mind, in order for IBIS to work optimally, you'll need to manually input the focal length each time you zoom.

The 10-18mm is recommended mostly because it's a known thing...all the a6500's improved capability will be functioning, there is in-body lens correction for distortion, IBIS will be seamless, and Eye-AF will work. AF is certain to be optimal and compatible in video mode. And it's much smaller and lighter.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Okay, I have looked over the lenses and this is what I have found:

Minolta Rokkor-X 1.4f 50mm (MD)
Minolta Super Albinar 4.5f 80-205mm (MC)

Amazon has an adapter that will allow Minolta MC/MD lenses to be used on the Sony a6500.
There are a plethora of adapter makers for the Sony E-mount. Some I recommend are Fotasy, K&F Concepts, and Yehon with integrated/removable tripod mount. (there was a recent thread on Olympus OM adapters, you can see what a Yehon looks like there.)

If you plan to use that Super Albinar zoom lens on the a6500 with a tripod, then you need an adapter with tripod mount. Vintage all-metal bodied zoom lenses and large telephoto lenses are too heavy on the camera body if using a tripod. Therefore I recommend the Yehon. It's much more affordable than competing models, and the system is much much better than the ones found all over ebay. (all these adapter brands are available on ebay.)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom