Here's a NEX comparison I'd not read before...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    I've been shooting with the NEX-6 for a couple of weeks now. I almost sold it during that Nikon D600 sale, but figured I hadn't really given it a good chance. I started looking for a second body, and after missing Sony's 5N deal for $339, settled into probably paying $400-600 for something with or without a lens. While checking out ebay, I found a like new NEX-7 with the 18-55 in black for $900 and figured after about $200 for the lens, I'd have about $700 in a GREAT additional body!. It arrived today, perfect condition. I updated the firmware, and turned it on.

The NEX-7 is far superior in handling and operation than the NEX-6, and I LIKE the 6! It feels better, hunts less, and is generally faster in all regards. The pop-up flash REALLY springs up quickly, compared to the really tough push required to get the NEX-6 flash to pop-up. The fit and finish is awesome! It is sort of like the difference between using a Nikon FM for a week, then picking up an F2. BOTH are very well made, but there is some immeasurable feel of heft and quality about the build of the 7. Even the 16-50PZ is somehow more pleasant on the 7 than the 6. The 18-200 focuses quickly and seems more sure. Maybe a function of only having one AF system to engage?

My only gripe so far is that the little pop-ups won't trigger my bigger Sony flash. I'll buy the small GN20 Sony anyway, but that's a major oversight to me.

I think I might be "getting" why these cameras are so special. This NEX-7 with the 16-50 is certainly a SMALL, VERY capable package, and the NEX-6 adds some really nice electronic features. It is great to have common batteries and a charger, too!

More as I figure it out...
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Thanks for the quick review ;)

I'm somehow glad I don't have the funds to replace my 1st gen Nex-5, cause if I did I would be in a terrible dilemma choosing between the Nex-6 and Nex-7 :D
  3. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
  4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
  5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Hmm, good food for thought. I own a NEX 6 and it's a very good camera, however, as capable as it is, I can't seem to fall "in love" with it. Wonder if the 7 would be significantly better for me ?? Anybody has both and can comment ??
  6. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    HA! That's what I was trying to convey. Initially, the NEX-7 is a more satisfying instrument. Not much shooting yet, but that will come over the holiday. I prefer fewer electronic gewgaws, could care less about WiFi in a camera, and like the Tri-nav so far!
  7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    I only know that the tri navi is much faster and the body looks much nicer at the NEX-7 (to me anyways).
  8. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    These two cameras are very similar. I got the NEX-7 when it first came out and liked it a lot, I agree that it does feel higher quality and looks more sexy than the 6 and first thing I noticed was the pop out flash on the 6 took a bit more force to pop out compared to the 7.

How do you like the tri navi? I liked the idea and it was one of the reasons I got the 7 but I often change settings without knowing which got a bit annoying after a while lol I do like the 7 as a camera itself but as for actually using it, I feel the 6 works better.
  9. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Not entirely well-versed yet. The camera also came with David Busch's book, so I'll sit down over the next few days to re-program all the soft buttons to my liking. I didn't like the NEX-6 nearly as much until that was done. Now it suits my shooting much better.
  10. Bruce.B

Bruce.B New to TalkEmount

Sep 9, 2012
    It changes, currently Arizona
    When I first got the NEX-7 in 3/2012 I ordered Busch's book which was promised in 4/2012. It was months late and didn't arrive till after I'd found and bought Gary Friedman's NEX-7 book. Friedman has excellent setup recommendations for customizing the NEX-7 which eliminates the need to drill down thru menus for anything but Formatting a card. I've read both and think Busch's book, while nicely produced, is less useful than Friedman's e-book. Friedman's book is on .pdf (& Kindle) which worked fine for reading on my iPad (too hard to read on my iPhone).

Whatever you do, when the settings are the way you want them, take the time to create a spreadsheet or a Word table that has your complete setup. The day will come when you'll be glad you took the time.
  11. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Interesting. I haven't been one to really care about camera exterior details at all, but I do find I enjoy my N7 on a tactile level. It feels like it belongs with those beefy old legacy lenses I enjoy using so much! When certain prominent bloggers embrace - or reject - a camera based mostly on the ergo's and/or the feel, I am starting to understand what they mean.