Here are some article on Speedliting with A7 that I've written...

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by dmward, Apr 1, 2016.

1. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    ... based on my recent experience. I'm also waiting impatiently for some Godox TTL speedlites with Sony multi-function hotshoe and TTL capabilities. They are part of the quickly evolving X system that Godox introduced recently.

First general information about evolving TTL options for Sony

Second using FEL to lock in TTL metering for multiple shutter clicks

Third using the different metering area options for TTL metering

And finally, HERE is an article describing how masking can be accomplished with the UNIT/ALT feature incorporated into the Godox AD600. This is not unique to Sony but a cool capability. I am lobbying Godox to make some version of the sequential firing that UNIT/ALT enables available on the X system lighting equipment ranging from the new version speedlites up to the already enabled AD600.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    The Godox 685s speedlite and X1TS trigger is already available to purchase on Ebay. I know because I just ordered one. It should make a decent replacement for the incredibly disappointing Nissin Di700a which has fallen to bits.

I believe I should be able to enable HSS on my ad360s with the X1TS trigger combined with the FT16 system (should be able to but dont know anyone who has done it.) AS far as the ad600, I am waiting for the Sony TTL/HSS version to add one.

Exciting times for flash fans who use the Sony system. Particularly pleased to see Godox moving in this direction as I have nothing but good experiences with their products.

3. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Haven't seen that they are available on eBay. Will have to send an email to my Godox contact. They were going to notify me as soon as the 685s was available so I could order one to test. The earlier AD360s will participate as manual strobes via the XFT16 and if you have any V850s they will work with the XFT16s.

The AD600TTL, as well as the new version AD360TTL are firmware upgradable to Sony firmware. In fact, once they are loaded with the Sony TTL firmware, as well as Canon and Nikon, they will be able to accept, automatically, TTL signaling from an any flavor X1 trigger.

4. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    Thanks for the reply but it is a little confusing....

1) Are you saying that with the X1TS I will not be able to enable HSS on my original ad360s? (I know I wont be able to get TTL with them but I am not huge on off camera TTL in any case.) The original ad360s are HSS compliant.

2) Are you saying that if I buy an AD600TTL - either Canon or Nikon - I can upgrade the software to make it compliant with Sony and an X1TS? As in no need to wait for a Sony compliant version of the AD600TTL. Is the software upgrade already available?

5. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    1) H mode can be set in any of the earlier version AD360s and it will be supported with the X1-TS. You will need the XFT-16 receives for the lights.

2) Correct, as I understand from conversations with Edward at Cheetah, the AD360TTL and AD600X lights will accept firmware updates that include the Sony TTL firmware and then function in a Sony controlled X system environment.

I am not sure when the firmware will be available. Probably a while since they are still testing the firmware to confirm functionality.

6. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    1) Thanks when my XITS arrives I will post how well it works in HSS with the ad360s as well as what I think about the 685s.

2) Yes I did notice the ad600x has a micro usb port for firmware update. I will probably wait until I am certain of a Sony compatible ad600 before buying.

Incidentally it is a shame that Godox hasnt got its act together in the US. It licenses its products to Cheetah, Newer, Rovelight etc and doesnt sell direct which essentially means that US consumers pay a 50% premium to what I pay in Thailand.

7. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    I just got an email from my Godox sales contact. Apparently the X1Ts is not yet in production. The eBay offerings, according to her, are pre-sales but she said they should be available in a couple of weeks.

Cheetah has setup a well regarded supply chain, including warranty service. So has Adorama. Neewer and others are simply reselling via Amazon or eBay. Neewer offers faster shipping by stocking product at a warehouse in NJ. Otherwise there is little benefit buying from the Godox resellers via Amazon here.

8. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    My understanding Robbie is that the new X system won't turn HSS wirelessly but if it is manually enabled on the flash it will work. I've got my X receivers and a transmitter on order but nothing yet.

Personally I wish they'd gone for more of an Odin style transmitter with a larger screen and more logical controls but Godox still has the most compelling and complete range of strobes IMHO.

9. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    The camera controls HSS by getting a communications message from the device mounted in the hotshoe saying that its capable of supporting FP sync.
    In a wireless controller system like the Godox X system, the controller has to tell the camera its an FP sync device and it has to tell the slave flash units to set themselves to HSS.

10. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    1) I dont think you actually need an X1 'receiver' with the ad360s. The new 2.3Ghz XTR16 (below) should work fine and dont have batteries are smaller and cheaper (but maybe that was what you were referring to in any case).

Godox New 2.4G Wireless XTR-16 Receiver for X1C X1N XT-16 Transmitter Trigger

2) I agree with you about the design although Godox clearly chose to add the pass through hot shoe than put a large lcd on top. I dont stick flashes on the top of my receivers but I guess others do. I think, theoretically, you can stick an older FT-16 trigger on top and use the combination for HSS with the ad360.

11. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    I prefer having the hotshoe on top of the X1. I like to have a fill flash on my camera for events. For other situations it will just be the X1. Its nice to have the option. It would be even better to have a Godox speedlite that could function as a master.

12. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    I am pretty sure that the 685s can act as a master for the ad360ii....

13. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    I'll know for sure when I get one to test. Its on its way and I have the XTR-16 and 16s receivers for my older units. It will work with the other TTL flash units. Its controlling manual units via groups and channels that I'm interested in confirming.

14. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Looking forward to your report as I want to buy one. Did you get the flash only or the transmitter too?

15. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    Bought both. Also hope the X1TS will be able to enable HSS with my older ad360s. I am probably effectively being a beta tester for Godox but at least both the flash and the trigger are firmware upgradable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

This is an exciting thread to read. I'm fully manual--two Yongnuos and to White Lightning X3200's. The idea of TTL with the AD360 sounds really nice!

17. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    My feeling is that ttl offers pretty limited benefits for studio/ad360 flash because they are typically on light stands with a relatively fixed distance to the subject (with the sort of stuff I shoot anyways.)

For speedlites I think it is far more useful...

I guess it would be nice to have though

18. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Its my understanding that the X1Ts will fire the older 360s via the XFR-16 module. However the light still has to be placed in H mode at the light.
    I have three of each version waiting for the TT685Xs to confirm. The X1-S will not be released until the Sony TTL firmware is confirmed, at least that's what my source has told me.

19. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Well, you need TTL for HSS. For using strobes outdoors, overpowering the sun and still using large apertures. That's pretty nice. I know I can use ND filters, but I usually don't care for it, since it makes focusing more difficult, too.

20. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    Actually strictly speaking you dont need TTL for HSS - certainly not in the case for Godox. As David alludes to in the post above the original ad360s were capable of HSS but what was needed was a wireless Sony HSS trigger (which would be an HSS/TTL trigger). The only one that you could buy until recently that would work was the Sony version Phottix Mistro+ which were something like US$600 for trigger/receiver. Now with the X1s trigger and XTR-16 (together less than US$100) should allow HSS on the older ad360 (which have no TTL). It is the same with the recently announced ad600 where there is a manual version with HSS and a TTL version with HSS.

So it is worth considering whether you want 'TTL' as Godox charges about US$200 per flash premium on both the ad360ii and the ad600TTL. (The ad360ii does though have a couple of extra features (that I havent really looked into yet that might make a difference over the ad360)).