1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help with these lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shotupdave, Jul 26, 2014.

1. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    First I think this is a great site, I find myself reading every post. I have a hobby of buying and selling camera gear on CL. After retiring I need something to do or I will go crazy. I recently bought Nex 5 and using it with a old Sears/Mamiya 55mm ƒ1.8 lens that has been sitting in my closet for years. This old lens and camera has brought me more fun and I now remember why loved photography.

Today I went to a local thrift shop and found these two Kiev lenses. I believe they are Contax RF mounts. Considering that I paid basically nothing for them, if they are useless, they will just go up on display area. What adapters are available for these

This a Jupiter 8 I believe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next one is a Jupiter 12.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the fun

Dave

2. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    Thanks for the welcome Dave, but these do not have any threads on the lenses. They have a do have a small bayonet style tabs as shown in the photo. I have found some adapters but have some confusion on the inner mount vs outer mount

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I know there are a couple of members familiar with these types, hopefully they have more insight.

4. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    Thank you

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    A search on ebay for "contax rf nex adapter" should get you where you need to be. There do appear to be 2 types, not sure which one you need though I suspect it's the more expensive one(s) as there doesn't appear to be a focusing helical on your lenses.

Hopefully I'm wrong. ;)

6. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    I have been all over the web these two days doing research. From what I gather the J8 is usable and you are correct it does not have a focusing ring so it will need a more expensive of the two adapters. The Jupiter 12 does have a focusing ring but may not be usable because the inner part may stick to far into the sensor area.

Thank you for your input.

Went out to garage sales today and found a 200mm ƒ4 MC Celtic Minolta with the rubber focus ring missing for $5. Also went by the local Salvation Army and Goodwill and found out that these two way over value their old lenses and cameras. One wanted $250 for a Nikon D100 body only.