help with starting to take videos

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by adwb, Nov 2, 2015.

1. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Hi Recently upgraded from a7 to a7rmk2 and despite have had many video capable bodies over the years I have never bother with video.

it seems a shame given the obvious qualities of this 7Rmk2 not to use the video but the choices are a bit bewildering; where can I find a resource that will talk me through all the different settings and so on?

what would do for basic youtube uploads and whats a reasonable editor ?

2. Charlie

Charlie New to TalkEmount

Feb 12, 2017
    What are you going to be shooting?
    what is the platform your going to be editing on PC or Mac?

I shoot HD 1920 x1080p which is XAVC S HD 30p 50M on my Sony A7RII. If I shoot 4K its 30p at 100m, 30p (Frames per second Progressive scan) is the way most films are shot. But it does not mean you have to do it. I recommend
    you try shooting in all the frame rates and decide which is best for you. If you shoot at 120p and play it back at 30 fps you will get a slow motion effect smoothly. Not like shooting super slow mo but it is a nice subtle effect.
    I would experiment and find what you like best.

As far as editing I went to film school and I have Premiere Pro CC I have also used FCPX a little I prefer Premiere because well thats what I was educated on. I know imovie and movie maker can produce some basic videos.

I wish I could help you more on the editing part but not sure what your needs are.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Welcome to talkemount, Charlie.

Nice to have someone with some video expertise. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Welcome from me too, Charlie. Will certainly read what you can tell us about video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Welcome to Talkemount Charlie :Welcome:

6. Charlie

Charlie New to TalkEmount

Feb 12, 2017
    Hey, thanks for the welcome. I'm no expert but willing to help out when ever I can.