Help with 360 pano shooting please ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by markoneswift, Apr 14, 2014.

1. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Hey people, since getting the Samyang 8mm fisheye I've been meaning to have a go at a 360 degree panorama. I've studied the use of the 'philopod' and understand the application and I can find my way around stitching software OK. My question is, when shooting a 360 pano, should the images be shot in portrait orientation or landscape ? Portrait seems obvious, to take in as much 'height' as possible, and then moving around the nodal point of the lens taking 4, 6 or 8 images plus a top ( zenith ) image with the camera angled up.
    But on the other hand, landscape also seems like it should work with less 'rotational' shots and maybe two zenith frames.....
    Has anyone tried any of this and if so, how did you get on ?

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    8mm lens has got quite large field of view. I suppose that normally landscape would be more practical. It probably depends lots about situation. Inside of building might work better with portrait, outside landscape. My only experiences have been with teles.
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    IME, for a proper panorama, the less distortion, the better. I usually like using a "normal" lens. 35mm equivalent gets used less frequently - wider than that almost never (YMMV). I choose focal length and/or orientation to affect how much vertical coverage I want of a particular scene - for the horizontal coverage, I can just stitch together as many frames as I need.