1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help!!! What Lenses to have?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Carlos Alvaro Caballero, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Carlos Alvaro Caballero

Carlos Alvaro Caballero New to TalkEmount

Mar 25, 2012
    Hello,
    I have the following lenses in my Nex-7:
    - Sony E16mm 2.8
    - Carl Zeiss E24mm 1.8
    - Tamron E18-200mm
    - Vivitar 90mm f2.8 Macro manual (Komine) A)

A) Por un lado, no sé si desprenderme del 16mm y pillarme el 16-50 que parece que da más calidad y es más versátil B)Por otro lado, dado que el 18-200 lo pillé porque era el único telezoom que vendían cuando lo pillé, pero realmente quería el 55-210, no sé si vender el Tamron 18-200 y pillarme el 55-210 por aquello de mejorar la calidad. Se notará la mejora? Valdrá la pena? C) Y por último, para retrato, no sé si pillarme el 50mm 1.8 o tirar con el Vivitar manual 90mm 2.8. Cómo lo veis para retrato?

a) On the one hand, i don´t know if change the 16mm for the 16-50mm that it has more quality and it is more versatile.

b) On the other hand, i don´t know is change the Tamron 18-200 for the Sony 55-210mm. ¿Will Sony 55-210 have more quality in 200mm?

c) Finally, i don´t know if buy the 50mm 1.8 for portrail or use the Vivitar 90mm 2.8 (manual) for portratil.

Thany you

2. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Well. Welcome aboard.
    Nice collection here.
    The Zeiss is a brilliant lens, unfortunately I can't afford it :(.

a) Well the quality of the 16-50 PZ is perhaps slightly better than the 16mm, but you can't really compare them:
    - 16mm: wide angle prime lens which gives great (and quite cheap) results with the two converters ECU1 + ECF1
    - 16-50: zoom lens going from wide angle to normal focal length
    What are your main motives? Do you like/want/need more focal lengths in 1 lens?
    b) The 18-200 Tamron should be better than the 55-210.
    You already own it? => I would definitely keep the Tamron 18-200.
    c) Portrait shooting is difficult thing...
    Do you want professional shooting where the model freezes? => use the manual 90mm
    You want nearby portraits indoors with family and stuff? => I would buy the 50mm AF.

But this is just my personal opinion!!!

3. Carlos Alvaro Caballero

Carlos Alvaro Caballero New to TalkEmount

Mar 25, 2012
    For 200mm, some reviews say that the 55-210 has more quality than the Tamron 18-200. For example:
    Sony NEX 55-210mm F/4.5-6.3 OSS

If this is true, i decide change.... But it is true???

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    You need to decide not only what you want to shoot, but also how you want to shoot it.

Do you mind changing lenses? Or do you prefer not to change lenses in the field? You have a focal range that is 90% of what most photographers ever use in one lens (the Tamron).

I've never used a e-mount 18-200, but I do have the 55-210. I like it for both closeups and distance work. See this thread and this thread for examples.

The 18-55 + 55-210 weighs almost exactly the same as the 18-200 so there is no large weight advantage with either set up. I'm not sure weight the weight difference is between the 16-50 and the 18-55, but I doubt it is very much.

The SEL16F28 is a faster lens than the zoom is. For low light level shooting that could be very important if you like to keep your ISO low. The prime also has the advantage of using the UWA and Fisheye adapters making it perhaps more versatile if you shoot wide a lot.

Again the 90mm macro lens may be more versatile than the 50 since it will do macro and the 50 will not. But the 90 will be bigger, and heavier.

Gear is always a tradeoff. You have to decide which gear comes closest to your ideal and then go with that.

5. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Well I can not talk about the Tamron 18-200mm but I can tell you about the 55-210mm, I bought a few months ago and I am delighted with it, I've been wanting to sell it because hardly used, but every time I do some shots worth keeping, to be honest I'm a street shooter and use fixed lenses, but this zoom is very good with integrated OSS and that's great, if a little slow compared to 18-200mm, but with half the price.

Every time I walk out, does not bother me carry this zoom in my bag, it's light and compact compared to other heavy zooms. also don't bother me if I need to change the lens, I mean for the 18-55mm, but each person has their own preferences, so you have to feel comfortable.

8572633081_99176cd66a_c.
    ALEXA by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

8573724794_7498b4a9b4_c.
    DSC02023 by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

6. rob925

rob925 New to TalkEmount

Jan 13, 2013
    SF Bay area
    I have the 55-210mm zoom and it takes very good images. The one thing I have to remember is that it takes a few seconds to autofocus.

7. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    right too slow :(