1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help needed on using Canon EF Lenses on NEX with "Electronic Adapter"

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pvp_victor, Feb 22, 2015.

1. pvp_victor

pvp_victor TalkEmount Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    bangalore, india
    Vijay
    Background:

It’s known that the performance of Sony SEL 55-210mm is average. I have been considering the Canon FD 70-200mm F/4 for a very long time, but without Image Stabilisation, I am skeptical about the usefulness of a legacy zoom lens in an APS-C camera for regular hand-held shots. The Metabones adapter at its $400 price did not make any sense for a new APS-C migrant not already possessing a Canon EF Lens. Sooooo, pressed the “pause button” and waited and waited.

Renewed Interest:

Recently came to know about “COMMLITE Auto Focus EF-NEX adapter” which supports the built-in IS available in Canon’s IS lenses. User reviews on Amazon.com are mostly positive. My interest in this adapter is towards using Canon lens's Image Stabilisation and less on autofocus. Getting EXIF info is an added bonus. This has reignited my interest in a Good Zoom Lens.

I am thinking about getting the “Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens” (not the L-series). There are plenty of positive reviews on this lens. A near mint lens is available at a local shop for about $ 425 (a brand new SEL 55210 sells for about $ 300). This Canon lens also seems to be better in IQ than Sony SEL 70-200mm F4 G OSS Lens (about $ 1600 here); specswise, the Canon is also smaller and lighter than the Sony G lens. Below is a picture of this Adapter on a Sony A7 (photo courtesy original owner) for reference.

E_Mnt Cam EF-NEX Apdt n EF Lens.

Help Needed:
    1. Adapter: Has any member tried the above adapter ? Or similar adapters ?? What’s your views about Image Stabilisation and Manual Focusing of EF lenses on the E-Mount Cams ?
    2. Lens: What’s your views on the above Canon lens ?
    3. Alternate Lenses: Recommendations on any other Canon EF (or 3rd party EF) Zoom lenses with IS ? Even a zoom reach of 200mm to 210mm is adequate for me.
    4. EF-S Lenses: Do they vignette on the NEX (due to the 1.6X Crop factor) ?

I am eagerly waiting for valuable inputs from members. Thanks in advance.

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I use the Metabones adapter and both 55-250 and 70-300 IS (non L) works with them. They are both good lenses, not the best L but given the price they are good. They both af with the adapter but 70-300 is a little faster. In real life I think I use mf more since af is slow. Both balances good with the camera, but I used 70-300 more since it is on A7R. Of couse 55-250 is for apsc. When I had the Canon, I bought 55-250 due to its size but 70-300 gives you more reach. Here are some of my old shots with 70-300 IS on A7R (some are with 2x converter):

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. pvp_victor

Nov 24, 2013
    bangalore, india
    Vijay
    Thanks a lot Serhan, for the useful info. I also intend to use the MF on this Canon. I never thought a zoom lens with 300mm reach could be used as a nice landscape lens as in your Pics. I need your views on one more: the practicality of using a big lens on the smallish E-Mount body. I am stupid, but, I found using a big lens on the NEX was somehow not matching and end up leaving the big legacy lenses back in the Cam bag. May be I have to ditch the Shoulder Strap and go for something else. May be the image stabilisation would make me enjoy the convenience of a good lens in a big body. Can you also share how comfortable you personally feel using the big Canon on the tiny E-Mount body. Other members may also chip in with their inputs.

BTW, that Canon EF-S 55-250mm is very tempting for its compact size, 400g weight, 250mm reach, good image stabilisation, and what with Ken Rockwell rating it high. Its price at USD 130 is another big plus point. If you have got any Pics taken with that EF-S lens on a APS-C body, could you please share them ? A few pics will help me see the vignetting due to it. It would also help me decide if I can use that lens and cropping the resulting image.

4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I have not used them extensively w/ Sony esp apsc, since I got the adapter after A7R. However I was surprised that they balanced very nicely since they are made out of plastic and relatively small lenses. I think Canon 55-250+adapter might be shorter then Sony 55-210. Again that is the reason I got that lens, to carry it more often / when I don't need the reach. You can check photozone for lens reviews:
    http://photozone.de/reviews

5. pvp_victor

Nov 24, 2013
    bangalore, india
    Vijay
    UPDATE: I ordered the Sony SEL55210 yesterday. Awaiting delivery.

LONG STORY SHORT: Went thro' Photozone review of the EF-S lens and the EF lens, thanks to you. As per Photozone, EF-S is better than Sony and even the EF lens. Then landed on the DXO site, where all three have been tested. Performance wise, the EF 70-300mm IS Lens is very close to the "L" variant ! And, the Sony leads the EF-S by a thin margin. I was hit for sixer after sixer :eek:.

Then, your comment (where I've changed the color) made me think more on the portability; it led me to reviews at Amazon. Most of the owners ARE happy with the EF-S 50-250 and the Sony SEL55210 lens. Quite a few even commented that the Zoom lens is THE permanent lens on their Cameras, due to their size and weight ! These two lenses may not be optically fantastic, but they make their respective owners happy. Between the Canon and the Sony, the Sony came first, due to its native Autofocus and focus tracking which will help towards 200mm and also due to DXO score). Thanks Serhan, you are the reason I got this lens.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015