Help me with lenses and some other questions...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amamba, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I am contemplating to eventually switch from Canon DSLR to a mirrorless. Honestly I only picked Nex over other systems because the price on this camera was relatively low so I figured if I try and don't like it, I can always sell it for same $ or keep it for travel. In just over a week of using it I think I am seeing both the good sides (good DR, good low light performance, good resolution) and bad sides (very few decent e-mount lenses, total lack of a good standard zoom with IQ comparable to DSLR world, slow AF).

So, for now, it seems NEX would only work out for me if I get decent MF lenses (which is where peak focusing should come handy). I am shooting mainly the photos of my kids / family and sometimes architectural / landscape. On Canon side, I was getting by with Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS as a main walkaround lens / vacation lens, Canon 85 1/8 as dedicated portrait prime, and Tamron 70-300 VC for tele shots (barely used this one).

On Sony side, I currently have:

SEL 18-50 /3.5-5.6. I am not very thrilled with it, to be honest. It's OK for a kit lens, but nowhere near the IQ I got used to with Sigma, at least in less than perfect light.

SEL 50/1.8 which I bid on as soon as I got the camera. I think it will fulfill the portrait lens niche, and can be a decent walkaround lens for when I don't need wide angles, the only problem with it is the slowish AF.

I would like to get advises on these lenses :

1) A decent sharp all purpose zoom. Needs to be sharper than SEL1850, with good bokeh and contrast / color. Someone suggested Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro. Seems like a nice lens, but the range is not as wide as I would like.

2) A tele that could double as portrait lens. So again, a nice sharp lens with good bokeh.

Someone on CL is selling Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro and 70-210/4 (this one is missing a hood). What do you think about these two, and how much should I offer (assuming they are in good optical and mechanical shape) ? This is not quite local - would have to drive for 40 min to meet him - so I don't want to waste my time unless it's really good lenses and a good deal.

Although, I would much rather get something that could be also adapted to my Canon T3i.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Why not use the lenses you already have (and like) to see if manual focus is going to work for what you want it to do? With the right adapter even AF lenses with no aperture ring can be used on the NEX bodies, although you usually don't get full aperture function. You can adjust it, but you only get like 5 settings instead of the full range.

Unless you get the Metabones Speed Booster, assuming your lens(es) is on the list of supported lenses.

3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    The old MF lenses are inexpensive and fun :) that's the main reason.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ah, well then… :)