Help me understand a lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Jan 25, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    269523_120415121415_IMG_0454.

Dear all in the lens above I would like to explain me what you see.
    By that I mean how many adjustable "rings" you see (meaning what I can change manually) and what are about (aperture, shutter, making ice cream)

(yep still newbie)
    Regards
    Alex

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    There are two rings on that manual lens. The large, black one on top is for adjusting focus, and the small, silver one on the bottom is for adjusting the aperture. The shutter is part of the camera body, not the lens, and you can (A) set the shutter speed yourself if you're shooting with shutter priority or manual (where you select both the shutter speed and the aperture), or (B) you can let the camera select the shutter speed if you're shooting with aperture priority.

3. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    The top ring will adjust focus, the bottom ring adjusts your aperture. The smaller aperture numbers will give you less depth of field, meaning only where you focus will generally be in focus while the larger aperture numbers will give you greater depth of field, meaning most everything will be in focus.

Shutter speed is controlled by the camera. If you set the camera to Aperture priority, you adjust the aperture ring on the lens, and the camera will sort out the shutter speed for you.The smaller the number, the bigger the opening in the lens, so more light gets in. This means you'll have faster shutter times with smaller aperture numbers.

Can't help you with Ice Cream though.

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    It looks there is something between the two rings . This that has printed the
    10, 8 ,4, diamond, 8, 16
    What is that?

5. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    That's the distance scale. It will tell you how much is in focus based on the aperture setting. As you have it in the picture, the lens is focused at about 2.5 meters (see on the focus ring where the numbers are printed for feet and meters? The diamond, your point of focus, is lined up at 2.5 meters on that scale). Also looking at it, if you set the aperture to 16, everything from about 1.75 meters to about 4 meters will be in focus (see how the 2 16's on either side of the diamond line up at @ 1.75 and 4 on the focus ring, that gives you the range overall that should be in focus).

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That is for information. It tells you at what distance you have focused the lens (the diamond is the indicator) and the numbers show you what your depth of field is for a given aperture setting and focus distance.

7. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
  8. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
  9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    So, this looks to be something you need to take into account when buying a new lens? If I understood it right (I will see also the suggested books), this controls how much defocusing behind the focused area you will achieve. Right?

10. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    The defocus is controlledy the aperture setting.
    Low aperture like 1.4 = small depth of sharpness, much defocused background.
    High aperture like 22 = large depth of sharpness, low or even no defocused background.

So its important to know what aperture a lens can do, especially the smallest setting which tells a lot about low light performance.