1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help me spend some money :-)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jazzer, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I am in the fortunate position to have been the recipient of several Sony gift cards in amounts that in the aggregate are sufficient for me to purchase the 35/1.8 lens. That's what I had been planning to do, but now I'm considering alternatives.

The options: (1) go for it; (2) hold on to gift cards and wait for the possibility of a new high quality zoom or a sale on the 35/1.8 (I guess that's two separate options :)); (3) Buy something else from the Sony store like an LEA2; (4) sell the gift cards and use the cash for something else.

If it helps, I currently have the NEX 6, kit zoom, 55-210, 19mm Sigma and a Minolta Rokkor-X 50mm 1.7

Voting is now open :biggrin:

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    1. Good option if you like the focal length. It's a very nice lens for its price.
    2. Will take probably another year until a high quality zoom gets released, and it will cost at least €700. Sale on the 35mm? Usually, lenses don't get big discounts, especially if they are that new.
    3. LA-EA2 without having any Sony A-Mount lens? Not worth it. Something else? When seeing your gear, the only thing really missing is a good standard prime imho.
    4. Nope. Selling the gift cards would give you less than they are worth in any case.

So my vote goes to 1.

3. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    If 35mm is a good focal length for you than I vote for #1, go for it although I don't have that lens but the reviews are good.

4. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Thanks. I kind of agree with your assessment. I'm leaning heavily in this direction as I have been thinking about this lens for some time and the gift cards give me the perfect excuse. I think this lens would sort of round out everything for me and I hopefully wouldn't find much need for anything else in the camera or lens department for some time.

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Don't worry, there's always the next shiny new thing that wants your money.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, I don't do the whole "wait for the next mysterious, but gonna be amazing items," unless there is solid evidence that they are coming out.

I prefer to judge on what is here and now.

As to what you have I don't see any immediate holes in your lens collection. The 35mm would give you faster prime if that is what you want.

If you got the LA-EA2, you would then have to start buying A-mount lenses which are not cheap. Not a bad option, but opens up a whole new expense.

If all else fails you could send the cards to me, I can put them to good use.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I'd go with the 1st one Poki suggests, alternatively, if you can hold on with the gift cards burning a hole on your wallet I'll probably add wait for a couple of months and you may see a new NEX body, Sony's has a short product cycle (about a year) NEX-3 2010, NEX-5 2010, NEX-C3 2011, NEX-5N 2011, NEX-7 2011, NEX-F3 2012, NEX-5R-2012, NEX-6 2012, NEX-3N 2013..........The planned full framed NEX or the new NEX-7 could just be around the corner ;)

8. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I'd go with the 35 1.8 (well I did and I'm happy with it)

The hole I see in collection is an indoor lens. The Sigma might be fast enough in some instances but at 1.8 with OSS the 35 is quite good for lowlight situations. A regular prime between your 19 and 50.

A good choice I think.

9. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Agree with all the above. No need to wait. The 35/1.8 is superb value for money even if it sounds on the high side before you try it - it is as close to a one-size-fits-all prime as you can get on the NEX system.

10. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Thanks everyone. The 35/1.8 it will be. I have actually been acquiring the cards over a period of time with the idea of ultimately purchasing this lens, but I always find it helpful to consider the alternatives :). I have a vacation planned for the end of next month and think this might be an ideal carry around lens.