Help me reassemble a canon Fd breech mount lens.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Mathieu Decodts, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    So I got a steal on eBay, near mint vivitar f2 24mm canon fd breech mount lens for £30 pounds. The optics are in excellent condition but it was cheap because the aperture was stuck open.

I have since opened it and cleaned the aperture blades and everything is working great. I also successfully reassembled the lens but I am stuck at the last step, the breech mount metal ring. It has a little piece of metal that sticks out into a groove inside the lens that determines the travel distance of the locking mechanism. It is fixed to the mount lock ring with 2 tiny screws but it can't be attached until the mount lock ring is in place.

There must be some trick to placing the tiny metal part inside the lense and then screwing on the mount lock ring then screwing in the tiny screws onto the nowfreely rattling piece but I can't work it out! Has any one had any success servicing canon fd breech mount lenses before? Or do you know of any sites with pictures or instructions? Any help appreciated. I can use the lens now and it works great, but I really want to get the other bits back in so if functions 100% mechanically

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Kyphoto.com was shut down, too bad.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about FD mount (except that I think it was the worst mount ever invented) but how about tweeters and magnetic screwdriver (and lots of light and patience).

I think that lens was made by Kiron.

3. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    My wife suggested a magnet too and it worked, just solved it myself and tested as fully working before I read your post! Thanks for helping though. Might post a guide here if folks are interested?

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Certainly interested. I am personally a fan of Kiron lenses (mechanically very good but suffer from sticky aperture blades, optically good to excellent) and FD mount ones are cheaper than others.

I am getting Kiron 28-105/3.2-4.5 today.

5. Gandalf

Gandalf TalkEmount Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    Or, just possibly the best mount ever! I reckon we'll have to agree to disagree... :biggrin:

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I mean mount. Both cameras and lenses are good but the engineer that designed the mounting system was sadist. All other mounts are about equal (from use perspective, I don't know manufacturing costs etc.).