1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help me pare down my manual focus lens collection!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mingus2112, Jun 26, 2014.

1. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    14451898172_42299097fd_z.
    _DSC0564 by jamesderose, on Flickr

Since these are all currently "adaptable" lenses (all minolta mount - using some on my NEX), I figured maybe some of you could help me pare down. I'm sure I'll put up some for sale post(s) at some point, but for right now I want to get a feel for what I should be hanging onto. I've been trying to shoot each lens on the NEX 3N (and will kick that up a notch when I get my 6 tomorrow), but it's a little overwhelming. I'll still be shooting film from time to time so the lenses I keep will get PLENTY of use. I've got a lot of overlap in coverage (and some straight up duplicate lenses) as sometimes they came with camera lots or bodies that I bought. So why don't I dive in and just make you a list of what I'm working with. (maybe i'll even dig up more out of the attic!) Anything with a "*" next to it is something i'm DEFINITELY keeping, but listed here anyway so you know my "base kit."

* 17mm 3.5 Tamron SP 51B
    * 28mm 2.8 Minolta MD W.ROKKOR-X
    28mm 2.8 Focal MC
    28mm 3.5 Minolta MC W.ROKKOR-SG
    28mm 3.5 Minolta MC W.ROKKOR-SG
    * 35mm 1.8 Minolta MC W.ROKKOR-X
    35mm 2.8 Vivitar Wide Angle
    * 35-70mm 3.5 Minolta MD Zoom (non-macro)
    35-70mm 3.5 RMC Tokina Zoom
    35-70mm 3.5-4.5 Sakar M.C Zoom Macro
    35-105mm 3.2-4 Vivitar Macro Focusing Zoom
    45mm 2 Minolta MD ROKKOR-X
    * 50mm 1.4 Minolta MC ROKKOR-PG
    50mm 1.7 Minolta MC ROKKOR-X
    50mm 1.7 Minolta MD
    * 50mm 3.5 Minolta MD MACRO.ROKKOR-X
    55mm 1.7 Minolta MC ROKKOR-PF
    * 58mm 1.4 Minolta MC ROKKOR-PF
    58mm 1.4 Minolta MC ROKKOR-PF
    80-200mm 4.5 Vivitar Macro Focusing Zoom
    80-200mm 4.5 Focal MC AUTO ZOOM
    *135mm 2.8 Minolta MC TELE.ROKKOR-X (4/4)
    135mm 2.8 Minolta MC TELE.ROKKOR-PF
    135mm 3.5 Minolta MC TELE.ROKKOR-QD
    135mm 2.8 Vivitar TELEPHOTO
    *200mm 3.5 Minolta MC TELE.ROKKOR-QF
    *300mm 5.5 Soligor

As you can see I have a metric-ton of overlap in the 50-58mm range and then again with all of those zooms. Obviously only I can decide which lenses I like best and which lenses to put on the block - but I'd love some input. If you see anything there that you have experience with and think I should "spend some extra time with," let me know! Likewise if you see something that you've tried that you think is the worst lens on the planet! Experience with them on APS-C? Even better. I've noticed that some lenses that I always thought were soft on the edges have all the bad parts "cropped out!"

-James

Attached Files:

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The 50 1.4 is probably my favourite lens ( I have the later MD version) so I'd definately keep that!!!
    Why don't you get rid of the duplicates for start?
    I'd keep the 35-70 MD Zoom and a 58mm for sure and probably the 135 2.8, the 200mm 3.5 and the MD 28mm 2.8, perhaps the 17mm Tamron too

• Like Like x 1
  3. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    Yep - those are all starred! The collector in me keeps wanting to hang onto at least one of each varient of the ~50mm camp, but the fact is that i'll just never use them. The Minolta 55mm 1.7 is in pristine shape and I don't think i've ever used it...not once...not even to try! My usual small bag contains the 50mm 1.5 (or sometimes a 58mm 1.4 instead), 50mm macro, 135mm 2.8 and the 35mm 1.8 OR 28mm 2.8 and that's what I gravitate towards.

-J

4. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    How is your Tamron 51B? I've taken on an interest lately in Adaptall lenses, and this and the opposite extreme (500mm 55BB mirror) are drawing my attention.

5. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I see you didn't star the 50mm Macro. Are you rethinking that one or just don't do a lot of close-up / macro shooting?

By the way, that's quite a collection!

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

6. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    It could best be described as "still in the mail!" Found it for a good deal and am really excited for such a wide lens. I can report back next week once it's come in and i've had a chance to try it. I've heard mixed reviews - but mostly excellent. There's a newer version, the 151B, that doesn't have the built in filters. I've got the older version and it came with the hood. That's important because there are no filter threads on the lens - ONLY on the hood!

-James

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    nice collection!!

the 28mm focal could go, they are dirt cheap, if you need a replacement.

same with most of the off-brand zooms there... they don't hold up like the old primes do, in the p.q. department.

8. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    That's an oversight! I'm keeping that one for sure!

I concur - I really only included them on the list in case anyone thought they might be worth checking out. When I first started re-examining my equipment last year I was surprised to see all the love for the Vivitar Series 1 lenses - I always assumed Vivitar (anything vivitar) was junk. I come from the old school of thought where you only bought the third-party stuff if you couldn't afford the Minolta/Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Olympus/etc version. Now I'm seeing that, while that was certainly true, there are some third-party lenses that have stood the test of time and are highly thought of.

-James

9. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    a lot of the old tamron sp adaptall lenses are outstanding... even the sp adaptall zooms are good to xlnt, but they are just too big :-(

if you happen to run across an 01a, the 35-80 adaptall2 lens, see how it compares to the minolta 35-70 you have.

10. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    That's what I'm reading! Definitely need to pare down BEFORE I buy anything else. Looking at some Canons, Olympus and (lately) Tamrons. Now that I have my NEX 6, I can put together a package deal with my NEX 3N and try to unload some lenses that way. I haven't found any of them to be "bad" so far, but a lot of times they cost almost as much to ship as the lens costs! Maybe i'll put together a kit with the 3N, the Focal 28mm, a 50mm 1.7, a zoom and a MC-NEX adapter. Could be a great adapted lens starter kit for someone!

Back to my paring down, though, anyone see any reason to hang onto any of the longer zooms? I feel like I would use the 200mm Minolta or the 300mm Soligor if I wanted a shot that long, but maybe there's a case to be made for a longer zoom that I am missing? I just think that if I'd want the CONVENIENCE of the longer focal length in a zoom, I probably wouldn't want the weight of the old manual focus lenses either!

-James