Help me convince Sony to add S/M/L selections to "zone" focus on the A7R2

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Promit, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Promit

Promit TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    Really simple proposal here, but I want to get a few more people to back me up on this.

The long and short of it: Flexible Spot is precise but way too slow to adjust. Zone adjusts quickly but is too huge. We need a compromise. The current zone is comprised of a 3x3 grid of L size boxes. Add M and S settings, so that the zone stays 3x3 but the boxes and thus the whole zone get smaller. That results in three compromise settings between Wide focusing and Flexible Spot focusing, which means we get to choose speed and precision across a range of sizes.

Good idea, right? Very simple tweak to the UI using existing design, doesn't affect existing functionality.

If you'd like to see this change, here's the Sony contact submission form:

The model number is ILCE-7RM2. I'm hoping that if a few more R2 owners send requests for this feature, along with real contact info and non-copy-pasted descriptions of the request (ie write your own), that it will eventually make it over to Japan and perhaps we'll get a firmware update with this feature in there. At least for me, it'd be a huge improvement in how the camera handles in the field.
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I too wish the flexible shot was a bit wider.