help LR

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by freddytto, Jan 17, 2012.

1. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    lightroom I used a few times, and I have some doubts and I would like someone to give me some tips:

1.-how to save an image into different types, ie, the same photo but in B & W, one colors, another in red tone, so the same picture but different shades
    2.-such as saving an image after editing so as not to be saved to the original photo,
    3.-to expel the photos, save them to a file on my lap, and not in the cataloging of LR

thank you very much everyone, I'm newest in this program and would appreciate any help does

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Sorry buddy, pp is my weakspot and I'm a total buffoon when it comes to pp software including LR, hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

3. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Hi Freddy. In answer to your first question you use the 'export' option. Once you are done with an image and want to save it you right click or go to the 'File' menu and select export. This will bring up a dialogue box with lots of options. You can specify where you want to save it, what name it should have, what size it should be and what format it should be in (i.e. RAW, DNG, TIFF, JPEG etc). Once you made your selections hit the export button at the bottom of the dialogue. This will save the image as it is at that point. You will see your export listed in the develop module under history.

You can then start working on the file again making more changes - to black and white, or higher contrast or whatever. When you are ready to go just follow the same procedure and export. The dialogue box will have kept your earlier settings. (One of the great things about LR is that there are many ways to achieve the same ends, so in this case you can also use things like the virtual copy setting and the snapshot setting, but at the moment that would only be more confusing).

In answer to your second question, LR never saves changes directly to the original photo. It creates what is called a sidecar file for each image which lists all the changes you have made while editing. When you open the image again for editing the settings from this sidecar file are applied so that you can see what the end result will be. The settings are only applied directly and the image changed when you go through the export process where you are creating a new image.

I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at in your third question but when you export an image you specify where it is to be saved. You can set up LR to automatically add certain folders to the catalogue otherwise it will not do so and you can choose whether or not to add them yourself through the import files/folders option or through the synchronise option if the folder has already imported into LR. Files are always saved to the folders you specify, they are never actually saved to the catalogue. The catalogue is just LR's way of organising and managing all the information about your images. Think of it like a traditional library - a library catalogue will have all the information about the books in the library but the books themselves are out on the shelves.

Hope this helps. LR can seem a bit overwhelming at first but it's worth keeping with it because it is (IMHO, of course) the best there is.

4. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    If you go to this post a Serious Compacts there is a list of LR resources there. The first three are particularly useful partly because they are free, partly becuase they are in video format so are easy to follow and are usually done is small chunks - 4-6 minutes - so they aren't too intensive.

5. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    thanks so much for help me

6. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    olli thank you very much, really I am a novice in LR, and I've been chek you tell me and I think with a little practice you will understand more, thanks friend

7. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Thanks for your honesty,honestly, I used FastStone Image Viewer is very easy to use, but now I have LR, and certainly I'm white, so my friend uses this program and gives it a touch more fun to your photos, and I would like to know more about this program, thanks phoenix

8. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    You're welcome Freddytto. Ask any time. If I can help I will.

You could also check seriouscompacts.com. In case you don't know it's run by the same person as this site and sometimes has disussions about processing with LR and other programmes.

9. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico

olli thanks, I appreciate your help, and LR is a good program just need to learn a little more

10. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    I'll be checking out those links as I just ordered the $79 deal and
    have never used Lightroom before.

11. tomrock

tomrock TalkEmount Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Freddy -- For your first question, you want to make what LR calls a "virtual copy". It's on the Photo menu in the Library. Create Virtual Copy.

That makes a reference to your original file but you can process each virtual copy differently. One in B&W, one saturated, different crops, etc.

LR never changes your original files. You can always get back to the original by using the History in the left panel of the Develop module and going back to the Import state.

Good luck. LR is a great tool when you get to know it.

12. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    thank you very much, mate