help in choosing a video editing software

Discussion in 'Post-Production' started by Lemuel Ragasa, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Lemuel Ragasa

Lemuel Ragasa New to TalkEmount

Sep 29, 2011
    without transcoding them clips.

preferably not the big guns like premiere and vegas. kinda low in budget. :(

2. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011
    I don't know if Final Cut Pro X works with the AVCHD 2.0 files from the NEX-5N, but if it does, I highly recommend it.

3. jebuskrust

jebuskrust TalkEmount Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Limassol, Cyprus
    Lemuel, if I am not mistaken, even Youtube have one rudimentary video editing tool - you can basically stick and chop the videos :) I dont know what exactly are you looking for?

4. riccardocovino

riccardocovino TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    basic version of vegas is really cheap and very powerful.

5. ccasey

ccasey New to TalkEmount

Sep 15, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Lemuel,

I'm struggling with the same issue. Currently I'm using the free version of Clipwrap to allow me to use iMovie to edit video, but the free version is limited, and frankly, so is iMovie. I believe Final Cut does NOT work with AVCHD, but Clipwrap would work for that, too. For a bit more $ than FCPX, I'm considering Premiere Pro which Amazon is selling for ~$400. I haven't convinced myself to spend the money yet, but feel that I'm leaning that way. I'd like to hear more from more experience video editors before I take the plunge, though.

-Chris

6. ccasey

ccasey New to TalkEmount

Sep 15, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Just an update about Final Cut Pro X, from a discussion on Apple's forums (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3131540?start=15&tstart=0):

I tried the iMovie command File->Import->Camera Archive... and had no luck. The first time I tried I saw icons for all of my movie clips but they all had a "60" (for 60p, presumably) overlaid along with a crossed out circle. It looks like iMovie is not compatible with 60p footage. I can use the Clipwrapped videos, but I suspect I'm not getting everything out of them because I get a message about the project framerate not matching the video framerate (30) when I add them to the project.

Hope this helps,
    Chris

7. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Have your tried just re-wrapping the file with Media Converter? It works on my wife's HX9V (1080p60 .MTS files) and lets you import into iMove '11. Sadly I'm going to shooting with the NEX-3 (straight MP4) until the NEX-7 comes along.

8. sabunyuma

sabunyuma New to TalkEmount

Nov 29, 2011
    I would recommend Sony Vegas. I understand that it's beyond your price range, so in that case, go for Sony Movie Studio. It natively supports AVCHD 2.0 and all of the frame rates of your NEX. Just drop the clips on the timeline and away you go. No transcoding, works on most hardware (except Mac), easy to use, powerful audio capabilities, and affordable.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jfazer

jfazer TalkEmount Regular

Dec 1, 2011
    Spain
    I have a similar problem... I do very basic proccessing (cut the videos and increasing the light...), so I use Photoshop CS5, but it doesn't read AVCHD archives, so I have to shot MP4 with less resolution...
    Is there any free program to transform AVCHD to MP4 with the same quality?
    Thanks...

10. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I use iMovie and it works just fine. All my photos and movies are imported into Lightroom 3, and then I import the video from iMovie.

11. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I use iMovie '09 for the basic editing and FCP X for important projects and the details. It works great with the old AVCHD 1080i standard from the NEX-5. I don't know it they support AVCHD 2.0, but if not, they should with an update in the near future. Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem converting them to QT or mp4-files - just google for a free program for that.

As for Windows, I only know the Windows live Movie Maker - which is totally crap - and Adobe Premiere Elements. The latter is okay for basic editing, but doesn't really offer any more than just sticking videos together, work with multiple audio sources and build in basic effects and text - combined with it's terrible interface, not recommended for the price. If you want more features than iMovie, Final Cut is definitely the way to go.

12. jfazer

jfazer TalkEmount Regular

Dec 1, 2011
    Spain
    mmm, I use Lightroom 3, and I didn't know it could read movies... I'll try it!

13. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 9, 2011
    On the Mac I use Final Cut X and iMovie. On Windows Cyberlink Director.

14. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Just a wee bit of further info. Lightroom 3 will import the video but it opens QuickTime (or any other player) to play back video. It won't play video within Lightroom.

15. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    The AVCHD footage from my wife's HX9V (same as file-wise as the 5N although not quite there quality wise) does work in Aperture. From there you should be able to import it to iMovie or any program that uses the iLife media interface.