1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help...Confused on keeping my Nikon D7000

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dragion, Jul 12, 2014.

1. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Since I purchased my Sony A6000 I have been shooting with it and it seems that my Nikon D7000 is just being left out of the picture now.
    Each and every time I will find myself reaching for the A6000 due to its better AF and size/weight.
    Even with the SELP18105G f/4 attached, it is much lighter than the D7000 with the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 as my go to all around lens.

If I require a fast prime, my A6000 has either SEL35F18 or SEL50F18 to cover those ranges.
    On the Sony's wide end I have the SELP1650 or the SEL20F28 with UWA converter @ 15mm.
    Tele I have SEL55210 zoom.

The advantages of the D7000 is on the wide end with the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 & tele AF-S 70-300mm.

As far as macro goes, the A6000 has the SEL30M3.5...not much reach, but sharp for stationary object.
    I have the AF-S 40mm f/2.8 micro & Sigma 90mm f/2.8 macro for the D7000.

The plus about the Sony A6000 is that I have the Fotodiox Pro Nik (G) - NEX D-Click lens adapter, so I can use the Nikon lenses in MF mode.

Current Nikon gear:

Nikon D7000
    AF-S 70-300 : AF-S 35 f/1.8G : AF-S Micro 40 /f2.8G : AF-S 85 f/1.8G : AF 50 f/1.8D : Sigma 90 f/2.8 Macro : Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 : Tokina SD 12-24 f/4 DX

The value of the D7000 is also a concern, since it is aging and decreasing.

So what should I do?
    Should I sell the D7000?

Any feedback/advice/suggestions will be very helpful!
    :)

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I tend not to get sentimental about gear. So I my be the wrong person to ask. For me, if I don't use it, up on eBay it goes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Well, the A6000 is lighter and has all around better performances. As you can also use the lenses from your Nikon set with the adapter, I don't really see the point in keeping the D7000. The only reason would be sentimental reasons as David just said. I admit I would keep it just for the sentimental reasons actually... LOL

• Like Like x 1
  4. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Sell it. The pain will fade quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Hmmm, I'd say put it up on eBay with a reserve at a minimum you'd be willing to accept. If it sells, great; if not, keep it as a "serious-looking" backup body for those times you need one.

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

• Like Like x 1
  6. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
  7. jeffryscott

jeffryscott TalkEmount Regular

Jul 7, 2014
    I'm in the same boat, just sold a D7000 and Nikon 1 V1 kit to fund an A6000 and trio of Sigma lenses. I still have one D7000 for the 80-200 AF-S. Not that I have handled an A6000 outside of a store, but I've had many mirrorless cameras and love the size and weight advantage. Now that performance has caught up, I don't think I'll miss the D7000 at all.

If I could fund another A6000 and get the Sony 70-200 4, I wouldn't hesitate .... I can only imagine where mirrorless will be in a few years. Wow!

• Like Like x 1
  8. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    My Short Story...

Thanks Jeffry for sharing your feedback.

Funny how all I can remember is that I always wanted a DSLR, but couldn't afford one so only had Sony CyberShot cameras.
    The closest one was the Sony CyberShot DSC-F828 Bridge Camera...which I still have and selling on Craigslist.
    3 years ago, I finally bought the D3100 since it was the most affordable DSLR at that time and had rave reviews...I was on :cloud-9-039:.
    Until late last year, I decided to upgrade to the D7000, since I felt I have reached my limitations with the D3100...my Christmas gift.

I was deciding on what gear to bring to Walt Disney World and then I stumble upon the Sony mirrorless camera...heard about them but was never really interested, until now.
    I was intrigued with quality of shots and their abilities coming from these "point & shoot" looking cameras.
    I decided that this would be the best solution to my WDW problem!

First I bought the NEX-5T...exchanged for the NEX-6, due to no EVF.
    Received a "used" unit, but paid for a "new" one and wasn't happy.
    Returned NEX-6 for A6000...now happy.

Since purchasing the A6000 in May, I have not used the Nikon D7000.
    This has brought up the question...do I still "need" the DSLR?

So this brings it full circle...

I have grown to love the DSLR, but the new "girl" in town has got my attention! :love:
    The D7000 has that "look at me" pro feeling, but the A6000 is the one that can be everywhere and not get noticed.
    Two exact opposites that both get the job done.

9. Sebastian

Sebastian New to TalkEmount

May 14, 2015
    Argentina
    Sebastian
    Hey Guys! I read the reviews and thought are really good, I have similar experience like Draigon, my last Sony was dsc 707 then switch to Nikon D40 then sell it and buy D7000 (with sigma art 30 1.4, tamron 17-50 2.8, 50 1.8) and now Im thinking about switching again to Sony (a6000 or A7), what do you recommend me?
    Thank you very much

10. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'm never sure whether switching camera systems is worth it. It's always mighty expensive, and in my opinion, you should only switch if you have a reason to. The image quality of the Sony E-mount system is NOT mighty superior to what Nikon offers. The D4s is comparable to the A7s, the D810 is comparable to the A7r, the D600 is their alternative to the A7. Nikon builds some fantastic lenses too, and you even have a wider variety to choose from. So if you don't feel held back by the size or weight of high end Nikon bodies and lenses, there's little reason to switch in my opinion. And I say that although I absolutely adore my NEX-7 and the corresponding Touit / Mitakon / Zeiss lenses.

11. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

After 25 years with Nikon I've ditched my D300 and most of my Nikkors for the little NEX-5, the kit lens and some adapters about 5 years ago. The 5 simply was the better match for what I shot back then (no sports or kids), it's much lighter and more compact, live view worked much better than on the Nikon, the AF was spot on (no front- or back focus issues) and I could use all my legacy glass on that snapper. Even though I haven't been too happy with some of Sony's decisions (chaotic menus, lens lineup, ...) I've never looked back since. YMMV.

12. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I have a D800, a D300, and a bunch of expensive Nikon lenses that are getting bored just sitting around.

I prefer the 24mp A7II over the 36mp D800.

It was a good run while it lasted, but my A7II with the 16-35 and phenominal 55/1.8 has replaced my Nikon.

13. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I've got a D7k (D7000) too which I bought new at my wife's insisting I needed to upgrade from my 995 some years ago.
    I still haul it out every now and then when I absolutely want the pictures to turn out. I don't have any native lenses for my Nex-7 and will be the first to admit my focusing is still suspect at times when using my legacy glass on it.
    I have tossed the idea around of getting rid of it and getting an A7 kit though. Just hard to do on a fixed income.

14. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

How about the Sigma twins or triplet? The 19-30-60mm. They're all great performing lenses and don't break the bank; I like my copies a darn lot.

The only reason for me to move 'up' from the NEX-7 to an A7... would be better low-light performance, even though that's relative and I'm not much of a low light shooter anyway, lol. If there would be a useable 18mm/f2 for the NEX I'd be set but alas there isn't. I had an eye on the A7R and the 28mm FE lately but I'm not in a hurry though and still love what the NEX-7 delivers in good light.

15. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    I have two tanks the Canon 1Ds and the 1Ds II which don't worth selling anymore so I just kept them around after I fell in love with the A7. I have an extensive lens line-up which go with the canons (Rokinon 14mm, 35L, 50L, helios 85, 135L) I just adapt those to my A7 with a cheap manual eos adapter to have fun. The other day I had to do some fast paced shooting of a family event so I went back to the 1Ds II only to find out that using the 35L and the 50L wide open the AF misses just about as much as I do manual focusing these on the A7 - go figure.
    I'm thinking about selling one or two of the L lenses just to help fund the Sony 35 1.4. I just can't make myself do it. I love both the 35L and the 50L and I want to keep the 135L for its reach.

16. Sebastian

Sebastian New to TalkEmount

May 14, 2015
    Argentina
    Sebastian

17. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    It's been a while since I've visited this thread and I would like to say that I'm very happy to say that all my Nikon gear has been sold and I'm strictly using Sony. The only non Sony lens I've kept was the Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 1:1 w/adapter. My next lens would probably be either the replacement FE 90mm Macro f/2.8 or SEL70200G f/4. I have no regrets regarding switching and find that the mirrorless system to be more than adequate for my photography needs. Please don't judge by what is written on paper or lab tests...get one of these in your hands and use it before making a decision. You will be happily surprised with the results and I can guarantee that your arms, shoulders and back will thank you! :2thumbs: