Help choosing the right gear

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by unlo, Aug 2, 2014.

1. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    This post is for anyone who frequents late night establishments to enjoy good music and company. I'm from Ohio and within the last year or so quite a few of the spots in greater Columbus and Cincinnati areas have been changing their policy on allowed camera gear. I'm running into more and more bouncers telling me only 'fixed lens' cameras allowed to curtail anyone taking 'professional' photos.

I'm a little bit more than put off by it. Recent example, Bonobo played at the house of blues in Cleveland...first time the band has Ever played live in this state....waited and waited for that show, planned endlessly the gear I would take with me, only to be thwarted by some bouncer who ACTUALLY knew where to look for the lens release button on the body of my camera. Over 2hr drive to be told No at the door with my gear.

Sorry I won't settle for a blurry cell phone pic like everyone else.

@Deadbear77 run into any similar issues locally?

So now, I have a New goal and that is pick out a fixed lens camera with some IQ clout.

My budget seems to land me squarely over the rx10 each and every time. But, I figured why not ask you wonderful folks your oppinions. The rx1 series is out of my budget sadly. I'm not really concerned about pocketability I'm a big guy and don't mind lugging around a larger camera body anyway.

My main concern is IQ from that 1" sensor. Low light performance is what I'm after.

What would you pick in my situation, something similar that isn't a sony? I'm open to suggestions as long as the price is right.
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    If your priority is low-light, you might want to look at the new RX-100 Mk.III. It has a faster max aperture (f/1.8) than the RX10 and the new Panasonic Lumix FZ-1000 (both f/2.8 max at wide end). If the telephoto reach matters more to you, then the RX10 and FZ-1000 are the only real game in town that I've heard of for decent (i.e., not 1/2.3" sensor) IQ under US$2000.