1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HELP! Changed to Tough E-mount, now see these two black, fuzzy dots

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Joe Fotosiamo, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Joe Fotosiamo

Joe Fotosiamo TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    Changing to the Fotodiox Tough E-mount is very nerve wracking, I gotta say. When I was prying open the plastic shim, I felt that that was the most dangerous part since you can easily slip and scratch the sensor. I did break the little bolt at the 3 o' clock position, but there is still one at the 9 o'clock on top of the four screws, and the Tough E-mount feels solid.

The only thing I'm worried right now are two black, somewhat fuzzy dots on the left side and a smaller one on the bottom of the frame. I only see them from around f/16 and up, though. When I see the sensor, however, I don't see any physical marks at those locations, though =|

What do you guys think it is?

Sensor Dust.

2. Joe Fotosiamo

Jan 29, 2014
    It's weird that I can't physically see any markings on the sensor itself. It's fuzzy too, so I don't think it's a dead pixel, either.

3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Could be spots of dirt on the back of the lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joe Fotosiamo

Jan 29, 2014
    actually, I just realized that the image would hit the sensor upside down, and looking at the sensor, there seems to be a couple of specks that I can't get rid off in that corresponding area. I do think they are dust sensor, though.

Gonna have to get it cleaned, it seems. a blower and the dust cleaning procedure function in the Menu don't seem to work

5. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    For sure they look like sensor dust, and the fact they show only at smaller apertures points to that too. There's a few threads on here on sensor cleaning if you have a search.

6. Joe Fotosiamo

Jan 29, 2014
    I've read some of them, but they all seem to pertain to non-a7R cameras, which of course doesn't have the low pass optical filter. Will that matter?

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Not sure, I saw you posted on one and Vince responded... Worst case is you can pay a few $ for a pro to clean it at your local camera shop.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Joe Fotosiamo

Jan 29, 2014
    Yea, I'm thinking about getting it professionally done, too. I make a living off my camera and can't afford to screw it up (even though I did almost do that when I was installing the Tough E-mount!)

9. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    That's classic sensor dust if you ask me. Soemtimes it can get practically welded to the IR Cut filter (actually, to the piece of clear glass that covers the IR Cut). The sonic cleaning won't touch it then. I forgot to mention in the other thread that I invested in a sensor loupe in a Canon mount when I shot Canon. It fits the Sony perfectly. The loupe makes it really easy to see these dust spots, and that's when I use the Q-tip and Isopropyl alcohol to clean it. I did that exact procedure just the day before yesterday. The key is making sure the Q-tip isn't saturated enough to drip and to just lightly wipe the Q-tip back and forth over the dust spot until it's gone. I don't apply any pressure because of my experience scratching my 30d. It took about 10-12 passes over the dust spot the other day before it finally came up.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, and if you don't shoot at f/16 very much, I wouldn't even bother cleaning it. I never clean my sensors until I can find dust spots at f/8 or sometimes f/11.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joe Fotosiamo

Jan 29, 2014
    Well, i actually start noticing when shooting a white background at f/11, so I guess I better take care of this right away.

• Like Like x 1
  11. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Same, I clean once I see stuff at f/10. I have picked up a big spot on this trip that I had to edit out of all the landscape shots from yesterday, need to clean it when I get home.

As suggested, just be gentle - it's not something to be scared of. It sounds like all sensors have a covering of some kind, AA filter or not.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vincepad

Dec 29, 2013
    Agreed - it's a lot less difficult that the forums make it out to be. And the sensors are actually sensitive to much more of the light spectrum than just visible light. You can have your camera converted to be sensitive to IR or UV (or both) light. They do that by removing the stock filters that cover the sensor and replacing them with glass that lets in these other wavelengths. The actual sensor silicone is too fragile to leave uncovered by anything.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vincepad

Dec 29, 2013
    Oh, almost forgot, if you do go the Q-tip route, it definitely pays to to buy the 91% alcohol. The commonly available rubbing alcohol (which is isopropyl) is only 76% alcohol, with the remainder being comprised of water and sometimes scented additives. The 91% only has alcohol and water, and it evaporates very quickly, leaving no residue in the camera. The 91% stuff is easy to find at a local drugstore, and it's only a few pennies more than the 76% stuff.

14. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Sorry if you tried this and i missed it being mentioned.. But did you try pointing the camera toward the ground and running the sensor cleaning function in the menu with the lens off?

15. Joe Fotosiamo

Jan 29, 2014
    Just tried that several times. Didn't work, unfortunately.