1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hellooo from the Old Dominion

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by VaughnA, Jan 25, 2013.

1. VaughnA

VaughnA TalkEmount Regular

Jan 24, 2013
    Hello, VaughnA here.

Old time DSLR user, I've gone from Kowa, Mamiya and Yashica (mat and Eletro35) in the film days to Pentax and now Nikon in the DSLR era. I switched to Nikon a couple of years ago from Pentax and really missed my primes. And lately I've gotten into hiking again and got tired of lugging an arsenal of big lenses and gear. When I mentioned to one of my friends that I was considering mirrorless he suggested I look into the Nex series. He told me of how well they work with old school manual focus primes. He sold his FF canon stuff and is all Nex.

Last night I bit the bullet and got a Nex7 with the kit lens and free 16mm F2.8. I've also ordered the 2 lens sigma kit and some adapters. I'm ready to start perusing the pawn shops for old lenses. So far I'm really impressed with the Nex. I'll see how it goes tomorrow when I take it hiking on the Appalachian Trail in the snow.

Here's my modest website:

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Hellooo VaughnA! :)

Nice kit! I have a funny feeling you're gonna love it...

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to both the forum and the NEX. And Dioptrick is right, you're going to love it. :)

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome and congrats on the purchase ;)

May I also add that your photos on your website are amazing!!! :eek: Nice work

5. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Hi and welcome.
    Can't wait to see some photos from the Apalachian Trail.

6. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Me too. I dream of spending 6 months on the trail...planning to do a thru hike in 5-6 years once kids are grown a little more and I can save of the money to do so.

7. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Old Dominion ? Oh my, don't you wanna adopt me (and my family if possible) ;) ?
    Welcome !!

8. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    +1

9. VaughnA

VaughnA TalkEmount Regular

Jan 24, 2013
    Only if you'll adopt me for a while. Only been to France once (Strasburg) and loved it. I'd love to see more and head to Belgium for the spring classics. (I'm a cyclist, non-doping;-)

Thanks everybody. I'm looking forward to hanging out here for a while.

10. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    welcome V,
    the Yashica brought back memories,I still have my FX3 in the early 80s I think, I don't remember if I moved up from /or had after the Cosina CT1 in thoise days the manufacturers shared a bit,
    the CT1 shared a chassis with the Nikon FM10 and the Canon T 60, changed days ,I loved the yashica, and it was a small camera in it's day

2rngfhg.