1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by alterstill, Feb 27, 2013.

1. alterstill

alterstill TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 27, 2013
    Aberdeen
    Wlod
    Hi people.

I have been reading talknex for a while and since it seems to be a friendly place /which is not easy to find nowadays/ I decided to come out of my den. Photography has been my hobby for around 15 years now. It took me a while to understand that more gear doesn't necessarily equal better photos. Still I find it hard to resist a new lens from time to time. To keep the balance right I own Sony Nex7 and Fuji X100 /and some Nikon dslr which gathers dust since Nex7 arrival/. I do my best to be objective in my opinions and am not a fanboy of neither. Both are amazing cameras, both quite unique and both with a lot little annoying "features".
    I have moved to Scotland 8 years ago and love it over here. Weather is usually rubbish but landscape opportunities endless. There are few pictures on my website and thousands on my hard drives, I typically struggle to review and post process my photos. I am not a pro so have no pressure to have a half decent portfolio. I simply enjoy taking pictures, results are kind of secondary to me.
    I hope you find my English easy to understand? I use it on every day basis but it is not my native language.

Wlod

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    This is really nice forum. I don't generally like photographic forums as there is too much elitism (my brand of camera is better than yours attitude don't make good photographs).

3. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I agree. This place is great. Like this site, I really only venture onto brand specific forums such as this one and I go to a Nikon site. That way, everyone pretty much is at least same brand oriented which eliminates a lot of that elitism. There's still some with a few that have $5000+ bodies with lenses that cost more than my car, but overall, it stays in check. So far, this has been the best site I've been on.

So, after my rambling...welcome.

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Welcome Wlod ! First, let it be said a I have huge soft spot for exotic, Eastern name, where you're originally from ? I'd venture Poland ? Sorry if I'm wrong, just a really wild guess. You're English is perfect (as far as I can tell anyway, but what do I know, French is my native language, lol).
    I've been an active member of photography boards for over eleven years now, and have thousands of posts under my belt on many fora, but I have to say Talknex has plain become my virtual "home", with virtual friends, too, and good ones. This place is insanely laid back, friendly, decent and kind and when I sold my NEX 7 body a few weeks ago I couln't stand not to be part of the community more than a few days, and had to-buy two NEX bodies on the spot. So I now have a second 7 unit, and am honestly thrilled with it. Though like you I also have Fuji and Nikon gear, but while the X10 is my primary choice for travel (over the NEX), the D90 has been gathering dust (literally) for months now. I'm not selling it as it was a birthday present from my hubby so they'l probably bury with it (the later the better, lol) but it's not getting any use, and I've had very little DSLR lust ever since I got into mirrorless. Weirdly enough the only larger camera I'm interested in now are Sony SLT bodies. Pretty ironic when I remember how scornful I was in 2008 when Sony made their big statement about being dedicated to take CaNikon by storm in a near future. They've certainly come a pretty long way.
    Welcome again, and please don't be shy, post pictures !

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Hi Wlod, welcome to TalkNex.

Don't worry, your English is great and easy to understand. We have many members who's first language is not English too.

I'm a new shooter and use a NEX-7. I have learned a lot and been given even more support on this forum.

6. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Welcome.
    Been to Scotland on holiday last year and could take pictures the whole day long if my wife would have let me...
    Great landscape, great people, great whisky... :)

And don't be shy with your english, I'm German, so not a english native speaker too.
    Really the best forum I've ever been to here, lot of helpful people, no flaming, no brand elitism.
    And I'm faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from photographic perfection!!!

7. alterstill

Feb 27, 2013
    Aberdeen
    Wlod
    Thank you all for the warm welcome.

@Nubster, I could probably consider myself a gear junkie. Luckily I don't even aspire to be a pro. Photographic equipment is sort of reward for my hard work. I don't go to pubs, I don't drink /often/, don't smoke any more. I simply love playing with a new lens, flashgun, photo bag even if sometimes I don't really need them.

@Nianys, you guessed my nationality right :-O. It's been a while since I lived there, apart from Scotland I spent few years between Greece and Holland. I enjoy exploring new cultures, working with exotic nationalities. I worked for few month in Nigeria and despite potential danger I still liked it.
    I had a quick look at your blog. You are lucky having such a pretty, little girl and at the same time photographic subject. My apologies, somehow word 'subject' doesn't sound right in relation with your gorgeous daughter but cannot come with anything better. Here you go - an example of my English limitations :D

@Grisu, agree about whisky. Surprisingly even cheaper brands are usually very good. I actually prefer Famous Grouse over some fancy n-malts. I have to admit I had never heard about most brands before I moved to Scotland.

Now I feel obliged to post a pic. I hope it's ok to post it here, rather than find more appropriate thread. I went for a walk down the beach few days ago. Nothing special but even though I have been there probably hundreds times, I always manage to take picture or two.

4.jpg

Thank you all again.
    W

8. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Welcome. I'm new to this forum also and really like it. Not as intimidating as some of the others. You will like it. Btw, very nice first photo.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome to the Nex family - you'll love the friendly atmosphere here ;)

And don't worry about your english - we have people from all over the world here whos english isn't their native language (me included). Your english is probably better than mine, haha :D

10. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Wow, that's a beautiful first posted picture, keep them coming !
    Thanks for the kind words about Marla, she's my photographic muse and is an ever changing subject, I'll never tire of shooting her :)

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome Wlod, kick your shoes off and get comfortable. :)

12. alterstill

Feb 27, 2013
    Aberdeen
    Wlod
    Thank you all for kind words.

BTW do Sony get somehow involved in talknex, do they host it perhaps or is it a private affair?

13. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    It's private. Not a Sony sponsored sight.