Hello

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Andy Clement, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Andy Clement

Andy Clement TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Hi, I'm Andy. New here..

I'm a new owner of the Sony A7 Mark II. Arrived this past Wed.

I've been taking pictures practically daily since 2007. My first digital camera was a Kodak point and shoot. Next was a Canon PowerShot SX100IS (oh how I lusted after the Canon S5is at the time though). Soon after, I graduated to a bigger camera, the Canon XTi. Christmas present to myself. A few years later I purchased the Canon 5DMII. Another present to myself. Loved my full frame. Eventually, toting a camera that size every day was just not fun anymore. It was big, heavy and the lenses were even heavier (owned the 17-40 f4, 24-70, 70-200, 50, and the not so heavy 40mm which was a joy). My interest in photography never waned but the daily carrying of that heavy camera did. I didn't shoot nearly as often as I had.

Sometime during 2013, I decided that I needed something smaller. The Sony A7 was being announced as well as the Olympus OM-D E-M1. I sold all my canon gear and purchased the E-M1 along with the 12-40mm 2.8 pro. The A7 just didn't have all the bells and whistles of the E-M1 and that A7 shutter was just too loud (the wife is an orchestra teacher and I sometimes photograph her concerts and there is also the IBIS). I really do like shooting the smaller format but gear acquisition syndrome got the best of me.

I was saving up for the EM-1M2 but it just never got down to a resonable price. The new Olympus pro primes were so very tempting (17mm 1.2, 25mm 1.2 (and not as much, the 45 1.2)). The Olympus 40-150mm 2.8 Pro was something I've lusted for as well. The cash I've saved up almost amounts to any one of these options and I've been hemming and hawing about what to buy for months now. When the A7M2 kit went on sale this past Sunday, I jumped and I couldn't be more happier.

I'll most likely keep the M4/3 gear. My thinking is to pair it down to just the macro lenses (60mm and 30mm), sell the other items and purchase the Olympus 40-150 Pro. I'll use the A7MII for wide and normal ranges (and to use with my many manual film lenses) and the M4/3 for long telephoto stuff. If I want something really professional for the Sony, I'll just rent.

Looking forward to commenting and contributing here on talkemount.com!

• Like Like x 8
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome, Andy! I bet your story mirrors a lot of the members here. Looking forward to seeing what you do with that new A7II. :Welcome:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Welcome Andy, you've been successfully assimilated. A7ii's RULE!:hiding:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    There are a number of people here who had, or still have, Olympus gear. Not me, though I did have a Canon Rebel several years ago now. You should fit right in. :Welcome:

And you may have noticed their is a link to the related site mu-43 up at the top right of the page.

5. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Welcome, Andy. I have been using the A7ii for a couple of years now. Honestly, I am not tempted to move "up" to anything else. IBIS is very helpful. The useable ISO range is very good. Obviously, you already know these things...

I hope you show us some of your images.

6. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Welcome to Talkemount Andy :Welcome:

7. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Hello Andy.... :)

8. Kmac76

Kmac76 TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

May 3, 2016
    New Jersey
    Welcome, enjoy and have fun... now post some pix !!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Welcome! Lots of really nice and helpful folks here. Enjoy!

10. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Welcome aboard! :)

11. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    Howdy.

You have a wonderful camera. Shoot it. Enjoy it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.