1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Hello New here! brace your self....

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by jcasillas08, Apr 6, 2015.

1. jcasillas08

jcasillas08 TalkEmount Regular

May 29, 2013
    Well not really. I signed up to the site a long time ago but completely forgot about how helpful this forum could be. Well let me tell you a little something about my self. My name is Jose I'm 25 from Houston, TX Father of a amazing soon to be 2 year old and one on the way! Also husband to a awesome wife who supports the expense of photography lol.
    I bought my first Sony NEX 5R about probably exactly 2 years ago before my first daughter was born. Boy was it hard and ton of research and practice it was to get useto it. I slowly started to learn it and finally got good enough to shoot people and them pay me for it! I always got those looks like "You shooting with that?" Why yes I do ... and once I edit them it completely blows there mind that such a tiny camera that is not a gigantic DSLR could create such awesome imagery.
    Well about a month ago I got the itch to get a new camera. I figured it was time to upgrade. PLUS a friend was getting me jelous when he purchased a Nikon D3300 and his photography was coming out awesome with little to no editing and he is a pure virgin at it. I originally wanted the same camera but I really loved all the settings and functionality of the 5R that I also wanted to look into another sony. So I started to search basic Google phrases like, Best beginners dslr and vice versa. I seen that there was a option for comparing some with mirrorless cameras. That's when I started to look into the Sony A6000. Read a good amount of reviews and watched tons of youtube videos. The ONE who blew my mind was a pro Photographer by the name of Jason Lanier. I'm sure most have seen his videos how he completely switched from all these thousands of high dollar cameras to Sony. The one who opened his eyes was a simple Sony 5R. He has a good amount of reviews on how the A6000 and higher A7s which I wish I could afford is better advanced technology for the camera industry. This guys shoots amazing shots all over the world highly encorage people to look him up.
    Ipurchased my A6000 last friday from best buy as a open box deal with the stock lens. From the get go I loved it. It feels a lot better and simply takes amazing shots even if left on auto. When I went to go purchase the camera there was a camera workshop by a Sony expert scheduled for the next day. Till 2 days ago I have always shot in auto. I tried to learn the basics of the different settings for shooting manual but I simply couldn't get it.
    I went to the class and learned so much on the functionality of the camera. Blew my mind the different things I could do.
    Yesterday I started to shoot on manual mode at our family's easter party. I need to keep playing with the different isos etc, to learn the different ways to have the camera set up. I have a lot of ideas I would like to shoot in my sessions just simply have to practice with them.

I would like to learn more about the different lenses I could use with adapters and what each one are meant for. More about isos shutter speed and the basics of shooting in manual, and extensive more learning on editing on photoshop cc since thats what I use to edit all our work. If you have any links or pointers in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Also would love to share some of our photography with everyone here if I can find out how to post them. Was advised by the Sony rep to create a flicker to share our photos which I have yet to look into.

Well sorry for the long story on how I first started off with a Sony but it excites me when I get to share my experiance with people. Thanks if you read everything

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome!
    Looking forward seeing some of your work ;)

3. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Welcome to the forum jcasillas08, You really cant go wrong with an a6000 its a great little camera. Cant wait to see your photos, as for sharing them lot of people use flikr as you stated. There are many other place where you can get free image hosting, you can also upload them to the forum directly. Here is a short video on how to share flikr images with a bbcode, the interface is slightly different now but its still similar.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also on a side note, while I like Jason Lanier's videos He does usually leave out the cons of products when describing them.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Welcome. You must be talented if you get paid jobs without really getting into all the technical nitty-gritty. So I'm curious to see your work!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome, many of us here are just as enthusiastic with our gear.

6. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    Well I'm a beginner still. When I first started of course it was mostly family friends and free at no charge. I still do free shoots to experiment with things I haven't done before or go out shooting randomly. I don't charge much at all what so ever is mostly for my time I spend to edit.

Here is one I did of my daughter in a local strawberry field we go to. This was with the Sony 5R. Was another one of those experimental shots that everyone seemed to love. Don't know how good of quality it will come out since I downloaded from my email to my phone. I will try to upload more later of different shots I have done.

Also just discovered a 2 great pages for photographers. One is called 500px.com and the other is Sonymirrorlesspro.com they look awesome so far.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    That is a lovely shot of your daughter, maybe just needs the horizon straightened, just my $0.02

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome Jose. Great to see such enthusiasm, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with as you explore what that new camera can do for you.

9. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    Thank you. Yes I read afterwards about alway make sure the horizon line is straightened.
    I'm currently looking into purchasing a 50mm F1.8 for portrait shots. Any suggestions? Something reasonably affordable. Will do some searching around here for suggestions.

10. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    For fast 50mm lens's you options are limitless as long as you don't mind manual focus, you can buy pretty much any legacy fast 50 and use it with an adapter on your camera. Some of these legacy lens's can be had for as little as $20 + a $10 adapter. If your after auto focus the native sel50 1.8 is a great lens and not too expensive. For now while your just experimenting I would recommend buying a cheap legacy lens (though remember you cant use automatic modes with these just manual and aperture priority), anything from the big name brands in the 50mm focal range are usually pretty good.

11. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    O wow that's cheap. I'm slowly starting to shoot manual. I shot manual all day yesterday they came out great. It's a learning process but love it.
    This is a shot I took yesterday at a friend's daughters baptism. It's un touched transferred from camera to phone via wifi.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    Look more closely. The horizon is level, it's just the coastline that curves. It bothers me when water shots aren't level, but the water's not gonna flow out of this bathtub! :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    ahh you may be right cheers

14. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    Jose, Great work! NEX-5R, High five!

Its a nice community here, take a look at the adapted lens showcase, and be ready, GAS could bite you hard!

15. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Since you're just starting to learn manual, I suggest you take a look at this site: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

I've found their tutorials to be very helpful.

And welcome, I look forward to seeing and hearing more about your work.

16. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    Thank you sr. That webpage looks like it's packed with information. I will for sure look at it later.
    I did see a section on adapters and lenses. I will make my way that way when I get a chance. Thank you!

17. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  18. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    A few I had downloaded my phone. All on a Sony NEX -5R

19. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    Wow, all are great! but number 3 and 4 are amazing!

20. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    DSC05352-J. DSC05349. DSC03085-J. DSC05656j.

All of the above are with the 5r and stock lens.

This one is one I took yesterday with the Sony A6000 and stock lens
    DSC02204.

• Like Like x 6