• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Hello - just bought a NEX

justa

TalkEmount Regular
Thought I'd better formally introduce myself !

I finally got around to buying my new camera today - its been a really hard decision but I finally went for a Nex-6 with 16-50 kit lens...

It will be used when I go walking, do city breaks and holidays to France (I love France) and Italy :)

I'm based in the UK and do occasionally get out in the Peak district and Lake district when I can.

Anyway I will be using this forum a lot - my last camera was a Nikon D5100 and I was really happy with that - apart from the weight/size !!

Hope I'm going to be as happy with the Nex - still waiting for it too charge - seems to be taking ages !!!

Jaf-Photo

TalkEmount Veteran
4-6 hours but do buy som aftermarket spares. Battery life is the Achilles heel of the NEX.

justa

TalkEmount Regular
thanks - any recommendations ?

I'm in the UK though..

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
4-6 hours but do buy som aftermarket spares. Battery life is the Achilles heel of the NEX.

I don't think it's that bad. Sure, compared to most SLRs, it is. Compared to most compacts, it's quite good, actually. And it's easy to carry a spare battery, they are pretty small, light and cheap.

Jaf-Photo

TalkEmount Veteran
I got some German "Patona" batteries from eBay. They last longer than Sony's originals.

justa

TalkEmount Regular
thanks I'll take a look - will also get a charger - cant stand charging the battery in camera !

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
thanks I'll take a look - will also get a charger - cant stand charging the battery in camera !

Haha, true, Sony is so damn stupid with the in camera charging ...

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm actually glad that they started adding this feature back in to their cameras.

It's not bad to have the option, but not shipping an external charger with your cameras is a bad, bad idea.

Junki Saita

TalkEmount Rookie
It's not bad to have the option, but not shipping an external charger with your cameras is a bad, bad idea.

I don't disagree with that sentiment entirely, but of the two "evils" I will take a lack of an included external charger any day of the week.

I can always buy an inexpensive 3rd party charger (usually with extra batteries so the price works out to be even cheaper) after the fact. The same cannot be said for the alternative as one can never buy in-camera charging after the fact (as was the case during the period where Sony switched to including external chargers at the expense of in-camera charging).

Edited: for typos and additional context.

Jaf-Photo

TalkEmount Veteran
I don't disagree with that sentiment entirely, but of the two "evils" I will take a lack if an included external charger any day if the week.

I can always buy an inexpensive 3rd party charger (usually with extra batteries so the price works out to be even cheaper) after the fact. I can never buy in-camera charging after the fact.

Yeah, and it reduces travel size to use in-camera charging. Otherwise the charger and leads take up one lens spot in your packing.

Latest threads

Top Bottom