Hello from WI

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Zanner, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    New Sony Nex 6 owner here from Wisconsin. New to photography as well. This is the first nice camera that I've ever owned.

I love taking pictures of my garden and the flowers as up close as I can get. Would the lens mentioned below be good for extreme close ups like that? If not, can you recommend a good one that I could use as my general lens as well?

Sony SEL30M35 30mm f/3.5 e-mount Macro Lens

Or Maybe this one? - Sony 50mm f/1.8 Mid-Range Lens for Sony E Mount Nex Cameras

I have the kit lens and the 55-210mm lens already.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing beautiful photos and learning a lot.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Any of those will work, it just depends on how close you really want to get. There's close ups and then there's macros (½ lifesize or bigger). If you prowl through the Lens sections of the forum you'll see examples of both to help you make a decision.

Oh yeah, welcome to the NEX and the forum. :)

3. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Thank you! I appreciate it.

4. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    Welcome!

Are you looking to take shots like this...

9461547422_7ed4a13f37_h.

Or like this...?

9458768479_5d8cce0230_h.

Those were both taken with a tamron 90mm macro. The sony 30mm macro could handle similar shots but the second shot would require the camera to be very close to the flower and could make lighting a bit difficult at times. With a longer macro lens you get a bit more working distance which makes things easier for the most part. Another option is to use extension tubes or a close-up add-on lens (diopter) with your existing lenses to allow for closer focusing.

For these last 2 shots I used an Olympus mcon 35 with the SEL 55-210

8886042038_9e4701e753_h.

8715184433_6410eb45f9_h.

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Hi STEVSH, nice to see you here.

Welcome to the forum.

6. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Yes exactly like that. What else would I need in order to get the Tamron 90mm macro lens? I would have to have an adapter to the Nex frame right? Sorry, as you can see, I'm totally new to nice cameras.

Hi ChangshaNotes! :) Thanks for telling me about this forum! I have learned so much already.

I was leaning towards the 50mm/1.8, but no one mentions "macro" when using it. Just portrait. But if I could use that one for both, that would be great.

7. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    You can get some very nice flower shots with the 50mm, but you will be limited in terms of how close you can get unless you add extension tubes or a close up diopter.

Yes, you would need an adapter to use the Tamron. Tamron lenses are a unique case because they have the "adapt-all" system. So you have many choices in terms of what adapter to get. My Tamron came with a C/Y adapt-all, so I bought a C/Y to NEX adapter on ebay.

8. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    Another great option for flower shooting...

Phoenix 100mm f/3.5 MD Mount Macro Manual Focus Lens P09035

Not only do you get an inexpensive, yet capable macro lens, but the 1:1 add-on lens that comes with it works pretty well on your SEL 55-210 to enable it to focus close. Here is a recent flower shot with the Phoenix (Cosina) lens...

daylily9737 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

There is also a flickr group dedicated to this lens if you want to see many samples...
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/cosina/pool/with/9552278894/#photo_9552278894

You would need an MD - NEX adapter to use that lens. That would also be your gateway to all the wonderful MD lenses that many folks here seem to love (including myself) :)

9. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I can't thank you enough! You have been very helpful!

10. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    OOOO I am starting to love this Phoenix lens very much. Thanks for sharing this gem

11. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    No problem. Looking forward to seeing some wonderful flower shots from you :)

12. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Well time is running out here in WI. Fall is creeping closer. I'll get some great dead leaves shot though! :)

13. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    Either of those will work. I have a rainbowimaging without the tripod attachment.

14. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Boom - Just order the lens and the adapter. There was only one left (supposedly) so that made me panic and order it. :)

15. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Pictures I've taken so far. I'm learning as I "click". But that's how you do it I've heard ;)

beach. bonfire. coneflower. daughter. daylily. dragonfly. luna. sunsetmode. topazcabin.

16. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Very nice first shots - welcome ;)

17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Love the closeup of the little girl's face!

18. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Just got the Cosina Phoenix lens today. My first attempts at using it below. Wow I really need to not drink coffee. Or buy a tripod. I could not hold steady for anything.

beemacro (1 of 1). beyedmacro (1 of 1). closecone (1 of 1). daisy (1 of 1). purple flowers (1 of 1). susanmacro (1 of 1).