Hello from Southern Oregon

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by WoodWorks, Dec 31, 2012.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've been lurking here for some time now, but with the new year approaching (or already here in some places), I figured that it was high time that I introduced myself.

I live in soggy southern Oregon, in a small town right across the California border called Ashland. This time of year (and pretty much until June) it looks about like this:

[​IMG]
    NEX-6 -- Canon FD 85mm f/1.8 @ f/4 -- ISO 100 -- 1/320 sec

Ashland nestles in the Rogue River valley, at the base of the Siskiyou and Cascade mountain ranges, and is home to a big Shakespeare Festival that attracts about a half million visitors each year. But now, and until early March, it has emptied out to just us locals (of which I believe Jefenator is one). Fortunately, all the great restaurants that cater to the tourist crowds remain here for the off-season.

I'm a refugee from the µ4/3 world, and was attracted the NEX world by the NEX-6's built-in EVF, articulating LCD, and larger sensor, all of which my last µ4/3 camera (Panasonic GX1) lacked. Along with the camera, I picked up the 16-50mm kit lens, and the Sigma 30mm f/2.8, as well as a free copy of Lightroom. I already owned a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4, and have supplemented it with a Canon FD 85mm f/1.8 and a 2X teleconverter. Though the 50mm had been languishing on a shelf, it has new life now with the NEX's excellent focus peaking. In fact, since I got the camera, my manual lenses have hardly left it.

I shoot mostly wide angle landscapes (so the sony 10-18mm f/4 is on my radar), and southern Oregon is a very scenic place, when the sun is shining.

[​IMG]
    NEX-6 -- Sony 16-50mm @ 31mm f/8 -- ISO 100 -- 1/400 sec

Anyway, here are a few more images from Ashland that I've shot since I got the NEX-6. I hope to post many more. From my brief experience here, this seems like a great forum with knowledgeable (and kind) members. I look forward to learning and contributing in the future.

[​IMG]
    NEX-6 -- Canon 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.8 -- ISO 100 -- 1/125 sec

[​IMG]
    NEX-6 -- Sony 16-50mm @ 16mm f/3.5 -- ISO 100 -- 1/320 sec

[​IMG]
    NEX-6 -- Canon 85mm f/1.8 + 2X teleconverter @ f/4 (f/8) -- ISO 400 -- 1/800 sec

Oh, in addition to the fine restaurants, we've got some great brew pubs here too. Just the thing after a long day out shooting! :p

[​IMG]
    NEX-6 -- Sigma 30mm f/2.8 @ f/4 -- ISO 3200 -- 1/60 sec

David

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Welcome aboard!! Great shots too!

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey David, great landscapes. Welcome to the forum. :)

4. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    Welcome. Nice area.

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Welcome, fellow Ashlander! Nice shots! (I really need to get out more - and next year I'm going to...)

6. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Looks like a nice place to be a photographer, you have some nice shots there and welcome to the forum.

7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks, Jeff. This time of year I don't get out much either. Here's hoping I run into you out there someday.

8. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome David... beautiful landscapes! That Canon 85mm f/1.8 is impressive... :)

9. LuvMusic

LuvMusic TalkEmount Regular

Dec 11, 2012
    Chicago area
    Welcome! Very nice images!

10. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Haven't done much traveling to Oregon... but I've been to Portland a couple times for concerts. Artsy, quaint city that also seems industrious.

welcome to the forums, David!

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks Yohan,

I've only been to Portland a couple of times myself. The truth is, Ashland is almost as close to San Francisco as it is to Portland, and I'm not much of a city boy. This is the Oregon I like to explore (sorry for the µ4/3 shots, but I've only had the NEX a short while):

[​IMG]
    Eastern Oregon, near Pendleton

[​IMG]
    Yachats, on the Oregon coast

[​IMG]
    John Day Fossil Beds, central Oregon

David

12. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Where is this "Portland" of which you speak?

summer-lk-1. summer-lk-2.

13. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Wow!

14. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Great shots of Summer Lake, Jeff. I spent a night camping (and soaking) out at the hot springs there last September. Splendid isolation.

David

15. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    In all my more extended roamings through Nevada and Utah, I have yet to encounter a desert region quite as lyrical as the Summer Lake basin. After going out there 20 or so times, I'm giving it a bit of a rest (which means down to 1x/yr instead of 3 or 4).

If you think that area is isolated, have you checked out Steens yet?

KC3.

16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Oh sure! I've ridden my motorcycle up the Loop Road to the summit a bunch of times now, crossing the Hart Mtn. Antelope Refuge on the way.

[​IMG]

Did you know that, somewhere out in the NW corner of the refuge, is the spot that's farther from any Interstate highway than any other place in the lower 48 states? There's a good reason some call that area "America's Outback."

David

17. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ah, now you're getting toward my neck of the woods with that first shot, it looks very familiar. I live across the river in the Tri-Cities. I have been meaning to get to the fossil beds for some time, I guess I should really get off my butt and go.

18. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It's a strange and beautiful place, Jim. And within a day's drive for you. But the Palouse is a photographer's heaven, if you ask me. I need to get back up there this spring.

David

19. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That would be the other major cool photo spot near me that I have so far managed to avoid. I. Am. So. Lame. :p

20. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    I can see why! Beautiful shots.