1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hello From Southern California

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by dburanich, Jul 3, 2018.

1. dburanich

dburanich TalkEmount Regular

May 19, 2018
    Southern Cal
    Hi Everyone.
    I am Dave.
    I have been a Nikon user and a member of the Nikon Café since it started in 2005.
    With getting older I have been trying to reduce the weight of all the gear I carry around.
    In fact I have gotten to the point where my D3S stays home most of the time due to the chore of carrying it around. My basic bag with body, 2 lenses and a flash weighs in at just about the same as a bowling ball.
    I did some research and decided to get a Sony A7 III. In fact it arrives today from Cameta Camera. They were the only dealer in the country that had any available. I opted for the kit with the 28-70 OSS lens. The fact that I can adapt some of my Nikon glass to it was a large part of my decision to go with the Sony. Looking forward to my new adventure with the Sony and here on Talk E Mount.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    :Welcome: Hope you're going to like the Sony stuff, I know I do. Some people here have experience with adapting Nikon glass to Sony E-mount cameras so I'd ask for experiences with specific lenses you intend to use on the A7 III.

3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Welcome and enjoy your new camera! Spend some time learning the menu system - setting customized buttons is almost a must.

4. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Welcome! This is really one of the best photography forums on the internet, and we love having new members!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Welcome Dave.
    As a fellow Southern Californian and a Nikon owner as well, I think you're going to find your Sony experience here to be one of the nicer journeys in photographic adventure.
    My D7000 hasn't been out of its bag since I went Sony and most of the adapted lenses I use are Nikon.
    I will say I'm green with envy of your getting an A7iii. From what I've read and seen of it, it is quite the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome from a fellow Dave

7. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Hi Dave! Like you I'm a former Nikon user and member of Nikon Cafe. I've really enjoyed my time here and the community is fantastic. I look forward to seeing your photos!

8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Welcome to the club Dave. Looking forward to some pics.

BTW - As long as you have realistic expectations, that 28-70 will get the job done.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hi, Dave! Looks like we're both newcomers here and I think we will both learn a lot from these folks.....

10. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Welcome to the other side Dave!

11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Welcome aboard! :) 

12. dburanich

dburanich TalkEmount Regular

May 19, 2018
    Southern Cal
    Well, I received the Sony yesterday.
    As many of you have said, yes the menu settings are a bit overwhelming.
    I can see its definitely going to take some getting used to.
    The fit of the lens to the body seems rather tight.
    Seems to be very common when I did a search on it.
    One thing I did notice.
    Windows media player will not play mp4's.
    I ended up using the MacBook Pro to play it.
    I'll give it a workout today at my son's house for bbq.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  13. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    The settings are bit overwhelming and not as well organized as Nikon's menu system. My A7III is completely customized and deviates from the stock custom buttons, so it takes awhile to see what you'll use most! I'd recommend at least allotting a custom button for ISO, metering, inputting IBIS (if you plan on shooting manual) and silent shutter. The rest I just dump in either the 'Function button' menu or 'My Menu'. Once you dial the camera, it's pretty straight forward! :D 

14. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    With a little work, you can set a Sony up so that you rarely have to hunt through the menus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2016
    randy
    Yep. About the only time I navigate to the menu is to format the SD card when I’m feeling lazy about deleting images after import. Exposure comp, iso, ibis, magnification, shutter settings, etc are all a button press away. :) 

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I really wish you could assign format to a button or to the quick menu.

17. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    You can assign format to your My Menu. I have it as my first menu item for quick access.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.