Hello from Phoenix

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by G.Webb, Oct 22, 2013.

1. G.Webb

G.Webb TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 22, 2013
    Phoenix, Az.
    Hello Everyone,
    I've been reading this forum for a couple months now, Thought it was time I joined. I have had a nex 6 for about a year and love using it. I was using Nikon still do on occasion. But rarely any more.
    Found the nex system able to do almost everything I need, except for a few specific shots.
    G.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome, G! Feel free to show us some of your photos. We won't bite. (Well, most of us won't. ;) )

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome from a fellow Phoenician.

4. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Welcome! Would be interested to here what you can't do on the NEX 6? I have found my nex cameras only limited by my imagination so far, and I have a crazy imagination! :D

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome G, even if you are from Phoenix. :p Just kidding, davetc01 is glad to have the company. :)

6. G.Webb

G.Webb TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 22, 2013
    Phoenix, Az.
    Thanks everyone,
    and Mathieu I would like to have a hard wire shutter release for when I'm shooting with a fisheye at the extended end of a monopod at odd angles. especially from a moving vehicle at low angles.
    I can do it with a assistant with the remote phone app also can probably do it by myself but it would be easy with the wired release. Other than that I haven't had to use the Nikon for anything else.

7. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    I use a 40" hardware cable release on my NEX6. Take a look.

Larry

8. G.Webb

G.Webb TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 22, 2013
    Phoenix, Az.
    Larry,
    I was looking into building that same thing, was going to use a 60" cable release. The camera store I deal with here gave me a short release cable for mockup.
    What did you use between the sharp point of the release and the shutter button?
    Also Did you rob the threaded bit from an old camera for the cable to thread into? Cause I don't have a tap that size.
    Thanks for the picture BTW. Nice work.

9. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    Between the release shaft and the shutter button I constructed a metal piece to avoid making a hole in the shutter button. This may be hard to follow. I took a 5/16 stainless steel bolt and cut off the hex head. I suppose any round steel stock could be used. I chucked the ss metal in a wood lathe. Don't let this scare you away. If you don't have access to a lathe you can chuck it in a drill motor and secure it to a bench. With the ss metal spinning and using a Drexel tool with a cut off disk, approach the end of the metal perpendicular by the cut off disk. What this does is grind a concave surface in the end of the ss metal. I then cut off about 1/4 to 5/16 of the end. I then chuck this small button in the drill motor and grind a concave surface on the opposite end of the first concave surface. So you are done now. What this does is create a concave surface to glue to the shutter button. Use silicon sealer for glue. This can be separated if you want to remove it. Then this leaves a concave surface on the top for the release shaft the seat in. Having said all this, if you want one I'll send you one. Send me a PM.

If a picture of this little button would help I can create that.

For the threaded piece for the release to screw into, I sacrificed the end of an extension and pressed it in. I've been told that a 6-32 thread will match up close enough to work. You could tap a thread hole into the adaptor or press in a 6-32 nut.

One last point here is there is another fellow on this forum that made an adaptor that mounted to the bottom of the camera. This freed up the shoe. Try a search.

Good luck.

Larry

• Like Like x 1
  10. G.Webb

G.Webb TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 22, 2013
    Phoenix, Az.
    Very cool,
    looks easy enough. got access to a lathe so no worries. Tried the 6-32 looks like it would work if necessary. Going over to my friends machine shop and see what he's got.
    Thanks for the info, its very much appreciated...
    G.

11. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    G. OK. Have fun.

Larry